23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2-7x32

10 43.48%
  • 3-9x38

13 56.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default .22 scope magnification reccomendation

Looking at replacing my old 4x32 on my .22lr. Rifle normally gets used for plinking and have taken a few guinea fowl with it. Would a 2-7 be a good choice? Is a 3-9 magnification overkill on a .22?

User

Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

I would do 2-7 on a medium-range rifle long before a 3-9. You'll save a lot of money that's spent without use, since the .22LR isn't very lekker to shoot at the longer ranges anyway.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I would do 2-7 on a medium-range rifle long before a 3-9. You'll save a lot of money that's spent without use, since the .22LR isn't very lekker to shoot at the longer ranges anyway.
    Can be fun to push distances.. What scope do you have on your .22lr?

User

I don't have a .22LR, but the .22 LR's effective range is of such a nature that a 9x scope would be useless on it. Or do you plan on shooting ~500m+ with the .22LR? I would be more than happy to shoot up to 500m with a 9x scope, granted the clarity is of such quality that I can effectively see the target. IMO the .22LR starts to lose out after about 100m, with it's effective range being around 150m before it starts to drop so fast that it becomes impractical to try and calculate for it.

Honestly, I would fit a good 2-7 scope on it, max. Even better, I would fit an even smaller magnification, something like a 1.5-6 on there with a good reticle and good clarity. Rather get all you can out of the rifle at 100m than spend unneeded money on a scope you're not going to use.

That being said, considering rimfire scopes are so cheap, spending that extra R500 on a 3-9x40 might not be the worst idea ever. What's your budget on a scope?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't have a .22LR, but the .22 LR's effective range is of such a nature that a 9x scope would be useless on it. Or do you plan on shooting ~500m+ with the .22LR? I would be more than happy to shoot up to 500m with a 9x scope, granted the clarity is of such quality that I can effectively see the target. IMO the .22LR starts to lose out after about 100m, with it's effective range being around 150m before it starts to drop so fast that it becomes impractical to try and calculate for it.

Honestly, I would fit a good 2-7 scope on it, max. Even better, I would fit an even smaller magnification, something like a 1.5-6 on there with a good reticle and good clarity. Rather get all you can out of the rifle at 100m than spend unneeded money on a scope you're not going to use.

That being said, considering rimfire scopes are so cheap, spending that extra R500 on a 3-9x40 might not be the worst idea ever. What's your budget on a scope?
    Personally, I want a scope that I can see .22 bullet holes on a target at 50-75m. That means about x14 for me, plus adjustable paralax down to 10m.

I shoot my. 22 with open sights as I inherited it from my great grandfather and don't want to modify it. If I buy another one, I'll mount a 4-16 Hawke or similar.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

A 4-14 would be great on the 22lr, there are some super ones from Bushnell with holdover lines in them made to match the common 22 lr ballistics

User

I have a Lynx 2-7x32AO on my .22lr and really enjoy it, but I sometimes struggle to see holes in a target at 50m. I got the scope for free so I'm happy, but if I were buying I'd have gotten a 4-12x.

User

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...e&goto=newpost

User

I have a Leupold Vari X III 6.5x20 on my Anschutz 54.18 and it is not a problem.

User

It depends what you want to do with it, 22lr is mostly used for practice, and then fun plinking. I have a 3-9 and can reliably hit spent 303 cases at 75-100m. I am not that great of a shot but even I can shoot spent 22lr cases at 75m with decent accuracy, the problem is seeing them can be difficult sometimes at that range. I am happy with my 3-9 but I suggest you even look at 4-12. It all depends on the purpose really, if you carry it all day then a bigger scope doesn't work too well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast