Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Botswana Elephant hunts

Elephant numbers are increasing dramatically. They are no where near endangered but are an icon animal that generates emotive responses.

My time in the Moremi illustrated the area was well overpopulated for a semi desert type climate. Nature is fighting back albeit with the negative impacts on so many unseen smaller species and ecosystems.

They are animals and sustainable usage is the best option for balance at a socio-ecological level. There is nothing wrong with hunting an elephant or a springbok for that matter.

Banned

Arrow Re: Botswana Elephant hunts

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Elephant numbers are increasing dramatically. They are no where near endangered but are an icon animal that generates emotive responses.

My time in the Moremi illustrated the area was well overpopulated for a semi desert type climate. Nature is fighting back albeit with the negative impacts on so many unseen smaller species and ecosystems.

They are animals and sustainable usage is the best option for balance at a socio-ecological level. There is nothing wrong with hunting an elephant or a springbok for that matter.
    One should have spoken to the late Clem Coetzee past Warden of Wankie about this
    He was involved in Elephant culling and later became so disturbed by it that he became reckless with a death wish

An elephant is NOT a -- springbuck ( anyone that thinks like this is seriously deluded )

https://africaunauthorised.com/?p=2815

The person I worked for used to fly along the Zambezi River and pick out the elephant carcasses dead along the river from poachers in Zambia
    We would then go and remove the tusks from a most pitiful sight of the dead and rotting elephant -- for the Zimbabwe Parks department,

To see an elephants head ( shot by a hunting client ) cut off and hacked and left to rot so that the tusks can be removed is NOT a pretty sight.

The way that the culling was done way back in the KNP is I think about the most acceptable -- it was a properly set up program

WHO knows today where the tusks / money and meat would go ?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    One should have spoken to the late Clem Coetzee past Warden of Wankie about this
    He was involved in Elephant culling and later became so disturbed by it that he became reckless with a death wish

An elephant is NOT a -- springbuck ( anyone that thinks like this is seriously deluded )

The person I worked for used to fly along the Zambezi River and pick out the elephant carcasses dead along the river from poachers in Zambia
    We would then go and remove the tusks from a most pitiful sight of the dead and rotting elephant -- for the Zimbabwe Parks department,

To see an elephants head ( shot by a hunting client ) cut off and hacked and left to rot so that the tusks can be removed is NOT a pretty sight.

The way that the culling was done way back in the KNP is I think about the most acceptable -- it was a properly set up program

When animals die they rot in the veld. Hunting is not poaching. And culling is not poaching. Hunting brings in money, and so the animals generate legitimate value in the community. Poaching doesn’t and isn’t a sustainable manner of managing the environment and wildlife - so not sure why its discussed?. Culling is sustainable but I would hazard a guess that the value in the community is not generated via culling. In principle hunting a springbuck is exactly the same as hunting an elephant. After all hunting is hunting.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

So we shouldn't shoot them, so what would your solution be to the over population of elephants in areas and encroaching human population?

And no, not your idealistic cull the humans idea, a realistic and implementable solution

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    So we shouldn't shoot them, so what would your solution be to the over population of elephants in areas and encroaching human population?

And no, not your idealistic cull the humans idea, a realistic and implementable solution

New job: elephant condom and lube applicator
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Brenneke go read Ron Thompson's work.

Culling complete family units is a very tasking exercise and for a conservationist it does take its toll, shooting babies. Even most hunters do not enjoy culling, just like farmers do not enjoy seeing their animals go into the abattoir. Young guys think it is fun to cull Springbuck, until the work start.

I'm with Cordite all animals should be treated with the same respect. It is due to the Animal Rights groups that some animals have been elevated to higher beings. So save the elephants in over populated areas, and the browsers like Kudu die and it is ok because they are not the poster specie that generate the donor dollars.

True hunting will not exterminate any of the species in Africa - it will be poaching and human encroachment into habitat.

User

No delusion. I worked with a former provincial game warden of Hwange NP who probably culled more elephant than Clem.I own elephant and have hunted them. I work with them daily. Utilising an elephant vs a springbok at a hunting or culling point is no different.

Hunters contrary to popular belief do not leave carcasses to rot. Protein in Africa is in short supply and legally hunted game is not left to rot after the trophy has been removed.

You are sprouting a lot of BS. Not only on this thread.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    New job: elephant condom and lube applicator
    I think I'll pass on that

Interestingly elephant contraceptive is also a fairly complicated business and there is contradicting literature on how successful it is and what negative social implications it has on a herd

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Brenneke go read Ron Thompson's work.

Culling complete family units is a very tasking exercise and for a conservationist it does take its toll, shooting babies. Even most hunters do not enjoy culling, just like farmers do not enjoy seeing their animals go into the abattoir. Young guys think it is fun to cull Springbuck, until the work start.

I'm with Cordite all animals should be treated with the same respect. It is due to the Animal Rights groups that some animals have been elevated to higher beings. So save the elephants in over populated areas, and the browsers like Kudu die and it is ok because they are not the poster specie that generate the donor dollars.

True hunting will not exterminate any of the species in Africa - it will be poaching and human encroachment into habitat.
    Funny you should meantion Ron..... His brother Ian was also involved in the park's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    You are sprouting a lot of BS. Not only on this thread.
    Thank you

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast