User

Default GLOCK 19 G4 Slide lock came loose

Good morning

I started Saturday on the flat range going through various drills and exercises. I also did a recheck of the loaded ammo on the Crony.
    *124 CMJ S221, 6gr, Fps - 1045,1030,1060,1080,1042,1040.

I must have fired about 200 rounds (3000 round count+-) when I put the pistol down I heard some metal part fall out and hit the steel shelf. I checked the slide was locked back and the noted it was the Slide lock that dropped out. I noticed the spring was still inside the frame. I was unsure how to put it back correctly so stopped shooting. Unfortunately there was no other Glocks on the range and there was no way I would walk up to a CZ guy to ask for advice.

Any advice on the issue:
    * why did this happen?
    * improved parts to replace this? The spring still seem fine.
    * how to prevent this especially during a defensive shooting situation?
    * fixed it when I got back to a decent cellphone signal. Perhaps download some of these videos to your phone to be able to do running repairs at the range.

User

Default Re: GLOCK 19 G4 Slide lock came loose

Retaining spring broken or MIA

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Good morning

I started Saturday on the flat range going through various drills and exercises. I also did a recheck of the loaded ammo on the Crony.
    *124 CMJ S221, 6gr, Fps - 1045,1030,1060,1080,1042,1040.

I must have fired about 200 rounds (3000 round count+-) when I put the pistol down I heard some metal part fall out and hit the steel shelf. I checked the slide was locked back and the noted it was the Slide lock that dropped out. I noticed the spring was still inside the frame. I was unsure how to put it back correctly so stopped shooting. Unfortunately there was no other Glocks on the range and there was no way I would walk up to a CZ guy to ask for advice.

Any advice on the issue:
    * why did this happen?
    * improved parts to replace this? The spring still seem fine.
    * how to prevent this especially during a defensive shooting situation?
    * fixed it when I got back to a decent cellphone signal. Perhaps download some of these videos to your phone to be able to do running repairs at the range.
    If you can get to my office you're welcome to bring it in, otherwise pm me your details and I will get you a newest spec slide lock spring.

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Retaining spring broken or MIA
    No as mentioned I managed to fix it at home. Spring looks the same as images on the internet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Unfortunately there was no other Glocks on the range and there was no way I would walk up to a CZ guy to ask for advice.
    Why not? I know a few people that own both Glock and CZ.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Why not? I know a few people that own both Glock and CZ.
    Tongue in cheek. I needed to check how the part fitted correctly, not get a lecture.
    I did join my friend who was setting up a new "Boslaan" range. I had to shoot the course with his Shadow as he did not have his G23 there. So I do know them as well.
    (This is a hunting range so some of the shooters are not the go to people for side arm advice. Not all but most)

So I done my first Glock 19 Gen 4 disassembly today. A couple youtube videos later and I was good to go. It was about time as if I needed parts replaced or if something went wrong I had to go to a gun smith.

Just done the frame for the moment as that seemed the more complex of the two and will get around to doing the slide soon but all seems pretty straight forward. Feels great being able to do a proper clean when needed and being able to actually replace worn springs yourself. Always felt a little intimidated that I would reassemble incorrectly and damage the gun. I did need to relook at the trigger assembly but apart from that it is actually pretty straight forward. The spring on the slide lock once fitted did seem to protrude a little as if it needed to be seated deeper but that's the way it is.

Quick question do you guys lube your extractor?

No, I'm not talking over lubing or even a whole drop, just a slightly moist cloth on the parts that wear. As you can see in the pics there is metal on metal wear. Let me know if you can see the pics.

https://i.imgur.com/o0F3YTF.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/xTdRZUS.jpg