Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Down loading a shotgun - pitfalls and precautions.

My son asked to shoot with the 12 G a few times over last year about's, but I have declined to allow and giving him "kick" comparisons. He shoots 270 - 308, but does not like shooting .303. I did not want him to shoot the 12 because I thought it may seed a later problem, like the 303 in standard form has done.
    A week or two ago he shot the 12 and said "ah - thats nice" - "no daddy, it doesn't hurt I like it" ( this is a child that also likes getting injections - its apparently "interesting")

Now me, dad - well I battle watching him do full body recoil with every shot. I must admit the huge grin does feel good to see, but yeeta boet his whole frame steps back.

So I am going to load a 20 % abouts guestimate less shot load and adjust load accordingly. Been toying with "if and or" scenario's and now I am wondering a few things.
    (1) do I lower shot weight and keep charge same -less shot higher velocity ?
    (2)do I lower both shot and propellant, reducing every thing, shot and velocity.
    (3)reduce shot - up propellant a bit to have less shot weight caused recoil but increase velocity to hopefully achieve deeper penetration per hit.
    Are there any known pitfalls or be care fulls, I will work this slowly and carefully myself, but hearing from those that have gone before always helps.
    What are your soft loads ?

User

Default Re: Down loading a shotgun - pitfalls and precautions.

What about steel shot, it sounds like the recoil is significant less for the same load? As long as you don't shoot plates as in Ipsc matches etc.

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What about steel shot, it sounds like the recoil is significant less for the same load? As long as you don't shoot plates as in Ipsc matches etc.
    Never seen steel shot available for reloaders

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Got the book drieppotx, x many of them - did look at loads and noted all above 1000 fps and got my 20 % reduction idea from book, the differance between max and min loads.
    Being a reloader I started wondering about compensating for shot on target number reduction by raising velocity and if I could achieve a harder hitting lower shot weight reduced recoil load by playing around a bit. Was hoping some one had done so already - a bit like the steel shots higher velocity compensating for loss of pellet numbers and SD by higher velocity with reduced recoil (as mentioned by Vaal)

Banned

Just remember that there are 21gr clay loads commercialy available from Hull Company that have very little recoil. Google the company. If you use middle of the road loads for the 24gr loads it should work well with 21gr loads. Give it a bash.

Banned

I downloaded some (200) 2 3/4" 20 ga. shells for my 9 y.o. granddaughter. I just used a 3/4 oz. load of #8 shot and a wad meant for 3/4 oz. loads. I don't remember what the charge of Unique powder was but I got it out of a shotshell reloading booklet. She peppered a good number of clay pigeons with that load with no problems.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Just remember that there are 21gr clay loads commercialy available from Hull Company that have very little recoil. Google the company. If you use middle of the road loads for the 24gr loads it should work well with 21gr loads. Give it a bash.
    '''''''
    thank you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    I downloaded some (200) 2 3/4" 20 ga. shells for my 9 y.o. granddaughter. I just used a 3/4 oz. load of #8 shot and a wad meant for 3/4 oz. loads. I don't remember what the charge of Unique powder was but I got it out of a shotshell reloading booklet. She peppered a good number of clay pigeons with that load with no problems.
    thank you knowledge added

User

Why not just buy skeet ammo? My wife's a small woman and according to her they are "fun to shoot" and doesn't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast