Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Down loading a shotgun - pitfalls and precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Why not just buy skeet ammo? My wife's a small woman and according to her they are "fun to shoot" and doesn't hurt.
    That is the latest plan buy a box skeet ammo I will open one up and replicate it when I reload. I have not bought a factory ammo in 30 years, I have rifles that have never shot a single bought round ever. Going to hurt to actually buy ammo

User

Hah shotgun ammo is actually one of the kinds I don't mind buying, since it's not as massively more expensive than handloads. At ~R900 for a case of 250, it's under R4 a shot, which I think isn't bad at all.

Banned

458 from site has sent me some tested load data which when put beside my present , seems to be what I am looking for

Banned

Buying commercial ammo is not going to help except for the shot load and way of assembling. You dont know what propellant is being used.

How does the load data given by 458 compare with my suggestion for a 21gr load?

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Buying commercial ammo is not going to help except for the shot load and way of assembling. You dont know what propellant is being used.

How does the load data given by 458 compare with my suggestion for a 21gr load?
    Good Morning Driepoot

The load I had pressure tested is:

24g shot
    20gr MS200

Giving velocity was 1250 fps

We use this load for corporate shoots where woman and newbie to Clay shooting want to participate.

One could load 21g shot but 21g wads is a rarity in SA. Unless one puts a “cardboard or cork spacer” inside a 24g wad to take up space and make it a 21g wad.

User

I would just buy 21gram loads. That's 20ga territory & if fired in a 12ga that typically weighs more than a 20ga, the recoil will be negligible. I haven't ever personally fired a 21gram load in a 12ga, but I have noticed that even 24gram loads recoil much less than the 28gram loads that we usually use for clay pigeon shooting so I'm sure the 21gram will be even milder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I would just buy 21gram loads. That's 20ga territory & if fired in a 12ga that typically weighs more than a 20ga, the recoil will be negligible. I haven't ever personally fired a 21gram load in a 12ga, but I have noticed that even 24gram loads recoil much less than the 28gram loads that we usually use for clay pigeon shooting so I'm sure the 21gram will be even milder.
    The difference between 21g and 24g loads is roughly 50 x 7.5 pellets more in the 24g load

That’s 50 chances more of breaking the clay (tongue in cheek)

Banned

The 21gr loads I aimed at rockies had no problem in bringing them down - and I am one of the worlds poorer shotgunners.

Banned

I will buy some skeet stuff to try out and take apart( I must just so I can see ??). I will also chroni the skeet stuff. I will then load 30 or so of the 21/or nearest I can in #7 and #3 shot - i will also load #7&3 in 24 gr configuration. Will shoot all 4 loads self and then let Cody shoot 20 odd of each, with out telling him anything. I will then watch him and see which I will settle on.
    There seems to be no warnings regarding the loads (not like loading subsonic for instance)

Banned

Thank You every one I will proceed just a bit better informed.
    O/O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2