Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser Ammo Guide ballistics

I am down to working into the finer measurements and correct angles. I determined the angle of the grip cap in relation to the pitch . This gives me a guide to be as accurate as possible in regards to the angle of the grip cap..I cut off the original grip cap and glued the real grip cap onto the stock. Some photos:

User

User

Spend today time to work down the double shadow line cheek piece into finer details. I completed the three millimeter shadow line, I am moving to the hollowing out of the cheek piece to form the v-shape I like in this design..
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I never chase velocity, these rifles are use to enjoy shooting..300 meter out to 500 meter, that is all
    Indeed, 139 grain Lapua Scenar handload shot out of my Sako 75 Hunter is supersonic way beyond 1 klick mark, whereas .308 usually gets out of steam around 800 meters. I really like 6,5 regardless of the casing. Modern powders give us so much new possibilities with the bullet, was it the Creedmoor or Swede. The only negative with the 6,5x55 is the length of the action, hence I'm intrigued with the idea of a self loading rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua.

User

I am currently busy working the double shadow line cheek piece down to a smaller version than what it is currently. I would appreciate some re-loading data members/owners of the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser have available for me to look at..it will give me an idea of what to work on when doing loads for this rifle ..

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Indeed, 139 grain Lapua Scenar handload shot out of my Sako 75 Hunter is supersonic way beyond 1 klick mark, whereas .308 usually gets out of steam around 800 meters. I really like 6,5 regardless of the casing. Modern powders give us so much new possibilities with the bullet, was it the Creedmoor or Swede. The only negative with the 6,5x55 is the length of the action, hence I'm intrigued with the idea of a self loading rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua.
    AK Gunner , what is the challenge with the length of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser Carl Gustav action??? What would you like to change on the Carl Gustav action?

User

6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser build is nearing the final stages..I now am looking at re-loading and pressures...

I noticed the 2007 , 6.5 X 55 Creedmoor has a much lager capacity for pressure than the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, 55000 psi while the Creedmoor 63000 psi.

It is a limiting factor for sure.....fortunately the 8x68S Mauser has a lot of pressure I can harvest...

User

AK Gunner , what is the challenge with the length of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser Carl Gustav action??? What would you like to change on the Carl Gustav action?
    The length of the brass was necessary back in the 19th century with then current less efficient powders, today we can get the same pressure curve and internal ballistics with much less powder and smaller shell casing volume, thus the action can be shorter and lighter than the original CG. The bullet don't care about the size of the casing if it gets pushed out from the barrel the same fashion.

The weakest spot of the CG action is the deep cut where you press your stripper clip down. The Swedes thought it's more ergonomic to deepen the cut from the original Mauser design not realizing why it was what it was originally... If the loads are too heavy the receiver will eventually crack from the bottom of that cut. More steel there and the problem should be solved. Also the nominal max pressure of the old rifles is rated a bit on the low side, but I know they can easily handle more than the manual says, if the receiver will not break that is.

User

6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser build is nearing the final stages..I now am looking at re-loading and pressures...

I noticed the 2007 , 6.5 X 55 Creedmoor has a much lager capacity for pressure than the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, 55000 psi while the Creedmoor 63000 psi.
    It is a limiting factor for sure.....fortunately the 8x68S Mauser has a lot of pressure I can harvest...
    The 55000 psi SAAMI specs were set for the 6.25x55 because there are a lot of old rifles in circulation. For new modern rifles pressures of 60 000 psi can be used.

User

Thank you AK-Gunner/garry-t, this info is much appreciated. With these light calibers I do not think pressure will be a problem at all. Most owners of these rifles are re-loading about the same pressures . Accuracy is the ultimate goal to re-load for keeping pressure moderate as well. I am looking forward to start re-loading for this rifle for sure.

Focused today on the double shadow line cheek piece , I worked it down to a much smaller and finer cheek piece . There are still a good lot of sanding left to do on this rifle stock but I am getting there , slowly but surely..some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast