Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser Ammo Guide ballistics

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    If you are a hunter, that only use the rifle for hunting, you might as well buy a 26 Nosler.
    It's also a 6.5 cartridge, but for men.
    Half the forum members are rolling around laughing
    The other half are feeling insulted and questioning their manliness

User

Gert, I am slightly confused as to the meaning of the post, because for that you need to state the goal of the comparison.

One was designed as a service rifle that found favor among hunters for it's high SD bullets, one is designed purely for target shooting in relation to it's high BC bullets.

NEITHER is a perfect hunting cartridge.

In this day and age people blur the lines between hunting and target shooting, that is BS, hunting will never be long range shooting.
    A modern 6.5 sweed does not shoot 160gr bullets, and a modern creed does not shoot heavy projectiles designed to penetrate heavy bone.
    Even our most experienced hunter states the 6.5 creed or modern sweed is marginal for blue-beast.

You will find, everybody today advocates what they use instead of what physically makes sense. There is a good reason why some game-farms state 30 cal minimum, because even if the user screws up the bullet choice that bullet is still heavy. For example if you think the 143gr ELD-x is the bomb in your 6.5, which in actual fact is a poor choice for heavy game, if you make that same mistake in 308 you sit with a 178gr bullet.

Remember what your real gunsmith said, people and their ego's.
    You make a strong case for the 30-06!!!!

User

A great, great discussion all around..I like this a lot...also great to move away from the 30-06/.308 discussion...since we all know the 8 x 57 JS Mauser is the best of the three...

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Gert, if you are offended by what I say I apologize beforehand. I think Gert is a lover of all things old and classic. You can see it if you read a lot of his posts. This was to compare and sort of prove that the old Swede can do anything that the Creedmoor can do when hunting, and thus no need for the 6.5CM if you're a lover of old things classic. Look at the posts from that grey beard 'The Real Gunsmith' I never bought my Creedmoor for hunting, I bought it for sport shooting, and I am yet to find a 6.5x55 on the line. I have seen guys shoot Messor's favourite 308 though. We do see some 6.5x47's and 260 Remington's. All short actions, not a single long action, and there is a reason for it (hint: magazine lengths) If I was a flush man, with money and I built a 6.5 for hunting, it would be a 6.5x284 Norma. But I am not, so I bought a Howa 6.5CM, spent some money on gunsmithing, and chuck it around barricades and drums trying to hit small targets off unstable platforms.

Look at the discussion around the 300 Magnum's. Here is the article that made me think the new 300PRC from Hornady might have gotten it right: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...he-rest/330587
    Again, not a cartridge designed for hunting, a 300 Win Mag does that just fine, but a lot of 300's does not allow for the loading of long sleek high BC projectiles. Hornady is now making a 250gn Atip in 30cal with a G1 bc of .878 and a G7 of .442!! At 300m the Gemsbok won't know the difference as TStone says, but at ELR ranges that 250gn round starts making sense...
    pblaauw, no, no, I will never be offended...I really like the old calibers, you are quite correct....since I also do not have money to show around , still less than you since you can still afford a gunsmith to build your rifles...I have to build my own rifles due to lack of sufficient funds in the every day struggle for survival...
    The Creedmoor is just toooo expensive to afford to build , so I am choosing the old cheap 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser caliber to build a cheap light stalking hunting rifle...it is tooo expensive to shoot target as well....that is why the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is only a low recoil short to medium distance hunting rifle...I am not even going to checcker the stock..to keep costs down, will only use an old Schmidt/Bender rifle scope to keep costs down...so yes this is really going to be a cheap skate rifle...since it is not a 6.5 Creedmoor..

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Gert, if you are offended by what I say I apologize beforehand. I think Gert is a lover of all things old and classic. You can see it if you read a lot of his posts. This was to compare and sort of prove that the old Swede can do anything that the Creedmoor can do when hunting, and thus no need for the 6.5CM if you're a lover of old things classic. Look at the posts from that grey beard 'The Real Gunsmith' I never bought my Creedmoor for hunting, I bought it for sport shooting, and I am yet to find a 6.5x55 on the line. I have seen guys shoot Messor's favourite 308 though. We do see some 6.5x47's and 260 Remington's. All short actions, not a single long action, and there is a reason for it (hint: magazine lengths) If I was a flush man, with money and I built a 6.5 for hunting, it would be a 6.5x284 Norma. But I am not, so I bought a Howa 6.5CM, spent some money on gunsmithing, and chuck it around barricades and drums trying to hit small targets off unstable platforms.Look at the discussion around the 300 Magnum's. Here is the article that made me think the new 300PRC from Hornady might have gotten it right: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...he-rest/330587Again, not a cartridge designed for hunting, a 300 Win Mag does that just fine, but a lot of 300's does not allow for the loading of long sleek high BC projectiles. Hornady is now making a 250gn Atip in 30cal with a G1 bc of .878 and a G7 of .442!! At 300m the Gemsbok won't know the difference as TStone says, but at ELR ranges that 250gn round starts making sense...
    Might want to look at the new mad minute record holder and how he shot with a 6.5x55...

Banned

@pblaauw

The following is tongue in cheek.

You perfectly illustrate my view on the 6.5creed.

Question : What is a good hunting cartridge?
    Answer: The 6.5creed, because we use it for long range target shooting.

Question : Is it better than the sweed for hunting, like up to 300m?
    Answer : Yes, we use it for long range target shooting.

Question: Is it good for bigger animals?

Question: Is there a lot of lightweight hunting rifles on the shelves in this cartridge?

Question : So it's a good hunting cartridge then?
    One of your better unpleasantly true not what they want to hear posts.

User

User

The average hunter will be possible to do the same...shooting at nothing fast is not that difficult. I wonder if he did a barrel burning exercise ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    The average hunter will be possible to do the same...shooting at nothing fast is not that difficult. I wonder if he did a barrel burning exercise ?
    39 hits on a 200m target that is 40cm in 60 seconds for the average hunter?Apparently it is a very popular thing in the northern hemisphere, probably happens when you don't get enough sun...

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    39 hits on a 200m target that is 40cm in 60 seconds for the average hunter?Apparently it is a very popular thing in the northern hemisphere, probably happens when you don't get enough sun...
    It seems it is another method to substitute a machine gun when you only have bolt action rifle...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast