Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

Hi guys, I'm going hunting in a short while and I have a kudu cow on order. Now, I have hunted plenty of game in my life, but the species are limited to warthog, impala, blesbuck and duiker. I have never hunted a kudu. I'm now sitting watching shot placement videos, checking up on the anatomy of the animal and the buck fever is starting. I've always said that the kudu, to me, is the most beautiful antelope in the world, and I stand by it. Now I have to kill one, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm prepared.

Now, let me be clear on this: I'm perfectly aware of where I need to send the bullet to do it's job. The bushveld I'm hunting in has lent itself to very close "stumble upon" kudu encounters in the past, and it's not a forgiving terrain. I'm happy with the rifle's performance (.303 Brit, sending a 180gr Sierra Pro Hunter from 40gr of S335) and accuracy, but it's like I have this thing in the back of my mind, nagging me about it. I know kudu is a soft animal to hunt, with a massive kill zone, and it's not one that's tough and keeps going for kilometers suffering from a shot. I know even a marginal shot won't see it run much further than a 100m or so.

Is it normal to feel like this? I haven't hunted a lot in the last few years (finances simply didn't allow it), and the odd hunt usually had me going along with nothing to show for it coming back home. I've shot an impala or two and a few blesbuck in the past few years, with the last one more than 2 years ago, and that's that. Is it maybe just the fear of the unknown, since I didn't take any animals in the last 2 years?

I just need some reassurance that this feeling is OK, but it's odd that it's just for the kudu hunt. I also have warthogs and plenty of impala on "order", so to speak, and for all of them I'm really excited and can't wait to get to them, it's just that kudu...

User

Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

For what it is worth,the build up,preparation and packing for that long awaited hunting trip is part of the excitement.These doubts and mixed feelings you are experiencing only prove you are not brain dead.
    A few hints...Have confidence in your equipment,especially your rifle/ammo combination.
    ...Avoid at all costs pressure from a guide or fellow hunters that urge you to shoot.
    ...When that Kudu is in a shootable possition,take your time,if you take a long time and the Kudu slips away and you have not shot,so what? That is hunting.
    ...Easier said than done but a critical part of controlling any buck fever symptoms that may arise is to blot out the animal from your mind.Concentrate on the mechanicals of breathing,sight picture,trigger squeeze.
    ...Above all,take your time and enjoy yourself.

Banned

The pressure I always felt as a young hunter was specifically the need to fill orders for "mates". If you dont shoot anything for yourself it is a dissapointment, but some "customers" can have harsh words if you dont fill their quota.

Hunting kudu is special and I hope you get to shoot on foot way in the bush. The 303 will perform.

User

"Pa, waar skiet mens 'n koedoe?"

"Naby aan die pad, seun..."

User

Don't sweat it, the feeling is normal.

Humans tend to give more value to bigger things, so warthog and impala is like meh.

Only those that did not study for a test fears it.
    Make sure you get some trigger time on the range first.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    "Pa, waar skiet mens 'n koedoe?"

"Naby aan die pad, seun..."

Banned

my greatest error when I have not hunted for long is to rush the shot. Stop, THERE IS time, it need not be minutes, just stop woa !. Look at animal look at where it is how its standing - where will bullet exit (no good a good entry point and a no where exit), stop consider all things and take your shot. If you have to rush it its likely not a good shot coming up. I find when I hunt hogs I get so hyped that I panic to get a shot off that when I try recall anything after seeing pig its all a blur, not a good thing at all. It does not happen with Kudu to me only pigs and fallow Deer. Stop - regain yourself, think about your shot, you have got time. The ability to shoot snap shots and quick window of a second shots will come as you grow with activity.

Banned

How much of your tension is simply because it is a kudu that you will be after? To rephrase: ask yourself why you get so excited about a kudu?

Maybe being a little blunt will help: it is a normal antilope you will be going after, just larger than your usual prey. Yes, an exceptional pair of ears and the king of stealth, but still an antilope.

What you experience is normal, but don't let it throw you off course. Enjoy the hunt!

Banned

How much of your tension is simply because it is a kudu that you will be after? To rephrase: ask yourself why you get so excited about a kudu?

Maybe being a little blunt will help: it is a normal antilope you will be going after, just larger than your usual prey. Yes, an exceptional pair of ears and the king of stealth, but still an antilope.

What you experience is normal, but don't let it throw you off course. If you worry too much you might just miss it all simply by worrying too much. Enjoy the hunt!

I must agree with Treeman here. Don’t rush the shot (like I did last year) and just breathe.

I have been fortunate to have hunted a few kudu in my life, but the last couple years I haven’t had much chance to hunt (besides your typical Kalahari/bakkie shooting which I personally do not enjoy and usually end up being the “guide”).

And then last year I missed (as in completely shanked) a kudu due to rushing the shot and not feeling comfortable when lining up. This was a first for me and it was an easy shot so no excuses. Afterward I was kicking myself as it was the only opportunity I had and I blew it. Generally there is time, so wait, have a look, make sure you are comfortable and then let it go. It is no different to shooting impala/warthog etc. Trust yourself and your equipment and most of all enjoy it! Kudu is for most, but definitely for me, one of the last rewarding animals to hunt. Ears like satellite dishes that pick up everything, keen eyes and nose and an ability to just disappear almost at will. A truly majestic beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast