Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 7x57 Ammunition

Default 7x57 Ammunition

Hi All,

My usual PMP ProAmm 170 grain for my 7x57 is very hard to get currently (i.e. almost nowhere in greater Durban) and I almost finished my stash. My rifling is 1:8.7 if I remember correctly. I hunt mainly bushveld with odd longer shot but max around 200m. Target species are usual impala, blesbuck, black wildie, vlakvarke etc.

I did take a young blue wildie with ProAmm last year but 60m and quartering away from me so "safe" shot so to speak.

I don't reload but its becoming apparent that I really should, here are my choices having phoned around and some googling:
    1. Federal Power Shok 175gr - I don't know this bullet but reviews & gun shop salesman have recommended it as similar to ProAmm
    2. Norma Oryx 156 gr - Is this worth it as pricey relative to others but cheap compared to losing an animal?
    3. Remington Core-Lokt 140gr - I don't know this bullet at all? Too light?
    4. Sellier & Bellot 173gr SPCE - Not a fan of this bullet as seemed to have quite a lot of meat damage on shoulder but maybe might have been placement?
    5. S&B 173GR SBT - This has the sierra gameking bullet but also battling to find it - would be my first choice.

Any other ammo you would recommend this calibre that you know is available? Will get my LGS to source if needs be.

Thank you.
    Last edited by DaavG; 11-06-2019 at 16:36. Reason: extra words

Banned

Default Re: 7x57 Ammunition

IIRC, user Baugust had a few boxes of 7x57 ammo for sale.
    Hit him up and check

I could be wrong but looking at the twist rate of the rifle, bullets of 160gr + would be "better" than the lighter ones. The Norma Oryx is a bonded type bullet. Although it may not be a good comparison, I have used them extensively in my 9,3 X 62 and found them to be accurate and they do not break up or cause to much meat damage.

User

If it's purely for hunting, my vote would be for Norma Oryx. Reload yourself and they are cheaper than other comparable bonded bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Hi All,

My usual PMP ProAmm 170 grain for my 7x57 is very hard to get currently (i.e. almost nowhere in greater Durban) and I almost finished my stash. My rifling is 1:8.7 if I remember correctly. I hunt mainly bushveld with odd longer shot but max around 200m. Target species are usual impala, blesbuck, black wildie, vlakvarke etc.

I did take a young blue wildie with ProAmm last year but 60m and quartering away from me so "safe" shot so to speak.

I don't reload but its becoming apparent that I really should, here are my choices having phoned around and some googling:
    1. Federal Power Shok 175gr - I don't know this bullet but reviews & gun shop salesman have recommended it as similar to ProAmm
    2. Norma Oryx 156 gr - Is this worth it as pricey relative to others but cheap compared to losing an animal?
    3. Remington Core-Lokt 140gr - I don't know this bullet at all? Too light?
    4. Sellier & Bellot 173gr SPCE - Not a fan of this bullet as seemed to have quite a lot of meat damage on shoulder but maybe might have been placement?
    5. S&B 173GR SBT - This has the sierra gameking bullet but also battling to find it - would be my first choice.

Any other ammo you would recommend this calibre that you know is available? Will get my LGS to source if needs be.

Thank you.
    I’m in the same position as you are. Bought Federal 175 grain Soft Points recently. Almost R800 for 20.
    I will certainly start reloading later this year. Struggled to get many ammo options in the places I checked. S&O and Pot Shot here in Joburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have hunted wild cattle in thick bush with 170 grain federal hydrashock in 30-30 Winchester. Was very pleased with it- minimal meat damage and good penetration- I do more of a postmortem than a normal butchering afterwards. Weight retention was above 160grain if I remember correct.
    Can not go wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I have hunted wild cattle in thick bush with 170 grain federal hydrashock in 30-30 Winchester. Was very pleased with it- minimal meat damage and good penetration- I do more of a postmortem than a normal butchering afterwards. Weight retention was above 160grain if I remember correct.
    Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Thanks that's positive.

Edit:
    I assume you mean powershok as think the hydra shok is the SD ammo.
    Last edited by DaavG; 13-06-2019 at 08:12. Reason: More wording

User

Yes. Power shok.

Reviving this older thread as I am getting into reloading and I wanted thoughts on which bullet to use in my 7x57. Its a Musgrave K98 Light so 22' barrel. Currently using the Federal Powershok 175g at roughly 2,390fps. I'm mainly hunting in KZN so bushveld but the odd 200m + shot.

Do I stay cup n core, go premium, to monos etc? I'm being advised the way of monos from a couple of hunters and its a vast question I know, trying to sort my thoughts a little.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast