Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 7x57 Ammunition

User

Default Re: 7x57 Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Reviving this older thread as I am getting into reloading and I wanted thoughts on which bullet to use in my 7x57. Its a Musgrave K98 Light so 22' barrel. Currently using the Federal Powershok 175g at roughly 2,390fps. I'm mainly hunting in KZN so bushveld but the odd 200m + shot.

Do I stay cup n core, go premium, to monos etc? I'm being advised the way of monos from a couple of hunters and its a vast question I know, trying to sort my thoughts a little.
    My wife owns a K98 Light in 7x57. I have had good results at bushveld ranges with the 140gr Peregrine VRG3, 150gr Rhino Solid Shank, 160gr Nosler Partition, 170gr PMP and 175gr Hornady Interlock. With the exception of the Peregrine VRG3 all of these will work well out to 250m.
    A 140gr Barnes TSX/TTSX, 140gr Peregrine VLR4 or 139gr Hornady GMX will work well for both bushveld and open country hunting if you want to go with the monolithics. The 140gr Balistix HunTac is another good option and prices on them are currently quite good.

Thanks Tstone. If you had to pick a bullet type which way would you go? And out of the local manufactures do you have preference as a matter of interest?

User

If I could get them and they were affordable, I'd go for the 160gr Nosler Partition. Going local, I'd get either Peregrine VLR4 or Balistix Huntac in 140gr and base my choice between the two on price. Performance on game between the two are very similar.

Lovely rifle by the way.

I did a bit of research on this caliber some time ago. This link was very useful.
    https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...formance/83658

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.dewinnaar View Post
    I did a bit of research on this caliber some time ago. This link was very useful.
    https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...formance/83658

Thanks for the article, interesting read. What did you settle on as a bullet or was it just for research only?

Thanks for the article, interesting read. What did you settle on as a bullet or was it just for research only?
    Hi DaavG,
    For hunting I am planning to load the Berger 168 grain VLD bullet and test it’s performance in my August & September hunts.

“Best projectiles for 7x57
    Berger produce one projectile which is adequately suited to the 7x57, the 168 grain VLD. This projectile has a small bearing surface which allows it to be driven at the same velocities as 160-162 grain bullets. The Berger is much like the A-Max in its ability to produce exceptionally wide wounding at low velocities. The Berger tends to gradually disintegrate while the A-Max will often shear into larger fragments however, sometimes the A-Max will disintegrate while the Berger bursts into larger fragments, such is the nature of light jacketed, non controlled expanding bullets. In either case, the 168 grain Berger is an excellent all around projectile at 7x57 velocities. It may seem to go against all logic to use a slow heavy bullet in the 7x57, particularly at extended ranges however, the A-Max and Berger are dramatically superior to other bullet designs at impact velocities below 2600fps.”

If all goes well I will load this weekend. Up to now I have hunted successfully with PMP Pro-AMM 170gn factory loads, with which I am getting sub MOA groups at 100m.

Now that my reloading bench is properly set up the real fun starts. I will confirm the powder based on availability, as I am off to the shops tomorrow morning for powder and brass.

Thanks Wynand, good luck. What size animal are you planning to use the VLDs on?

Thanks Wynand, good luck. What size animal are you planning to use the VLDs on?
    Quite comfortable upto BWB. I might have a chance to take a Eland in August. Probably a cow, which I believe the 7x57 will be very capable of. I am sure the 7x57 has taken many large Eland Bul before, but I probably would like a bit more gun for such a beast in future.

Default 7x57 Ammunition

This book has been an excellent reference for me on the suitability of calibers on different African game over the past years. Quite a lot of good info on the 7x57 too. Bought it on Kindle and keep on going back to it as I consider buying a new caliber rifle.

It is between the Berger and Hornady A-Max for me at present.

The best of the Hornady range is the highly frangible 162 grain A-Max. In fact, this may well be the best all-round projectile ever produced for the 7x57 and 7mm08 powered cartridges. The A-Max is noticeably and measurably faster killing than other bullet styles at close and also long ranges. Penetration is surprisingly good, regardless of weight lost due to its thin jacket and on light framed deer, this projectile has the ability to reach vitals with tail on shots, not that the A-Max is best utilized in this way. The key to outstanding all-round performance with the 162 grain A-Max is mild muzzle velocities no greater than 2700fps. From the lower muzzle velocity of 2600fps, the A-Max produces wide, fast bleeding wounds out to 300yards (2200fps) with a slight reduction in wounding between 300 and 475 yards (2000fps). The A-max continues to excel below 2000fps in the absence of bone strikes. This projectile requires very little resistance to initiate expansion and for this reason, is a more ethical killer at longer ranges approaching where wind factors make exact shot placement more difficult. Occasionally, pin hole wounding (rear lung/ liver shots) can occur at velocities lower than 1800fps yet this also occurs with competing designs, such are the limitations of our current technology.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast