Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 7x57 Ammunition

Default Re: 7x57 Ammunition

Thanks for the write up interesting read!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.dewinnaar View Post
    It is between the Berger and Hornady A-Max for me at present.

The best of the Hornady range is the highly frangible 162 grain A-Max. In fact, this may well be the best all-round projectile ever produced for the 7x57 and 7mm08 powered cartridges. The A-Max is noticeably and measurably faster killing than other bullet styles at close and also long ranges. Penetration is surprisingly good, regardless of weight lost due to its thin jacket and on light framed deer, this projectile has the ability to reach vitals with tail on shots, not that the A-Max is best utilized in this way. The key to outstanding all-round performance with the 162 grain A-Max is mild muzzle velocities no greater than 2700fps. From the lower muzzle velocity of 2600fps, the A-Max produces wide, fast bleeding wounds out to 300yards (2200fps) with a slight reduction in wounding between 300 and 475 yards (2000fps). The A-max continues to excel below 2000fps in the absence of bone strikes. This projectile requires very little resistance to initiate expansion and for this reason, is a more ethical killer at longer ranges approaching where wind factors make exact shot placement more difficult. Occasionally, pin hole wounding (rear lung/ liver shots) can occur at velocities lower than 1800fps yet this also occurs with competing designs, such are the limitations of our current technology.
    I advise against the use of A-Max on body shots at short range. At least, if you hunt for meat.

For head and neck shots, it is superb.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...base/7x57.html

I forgot to attach the source of the commentaries on various bullets for the 7x57. Some good reading here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I advise against the use of A-Max on body shots at short range. At least, if you hunt for meat.

For head and neck shots, it is superb.
    Noted thanks Ds J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3