Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Price of a "custom" rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    There are hundreds of really good YouTube video's that explain making a stock and or finishing a 96% inletted stock.

Go visit Richards Microfit Stocks and you can choose the level of figure you can afford in your Walnut. Don't take the Rosewood tips but the ebony. I took the Rosewood, not that clever.

Locate a suitable action and get a barrel cut.

Fit your own stock, bed you own rifle then enjoy the satisfaction that brings.
    Andrew, if you are able to in-lett a stock the way a proper gunsmith can do it- good for you. I am to much of an proud tradesman myself to believe that the skill involved in working with Walnut and Metal, is achieve able by all that can watch youtube.
    Tell you, I have ruined two Walnut shotgun blanks trying to learn how to repair my Picadilly Shotgun's stock. It is at the stockmaker now, who is asking R14000 to have it done!

Remember these are 96% inletted. Basic outside shape is done, Most the action cavity and barrel cavity is milled so it is literally taking off the last mm or two. My boet has just finished his and I want to start on mine soon.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Andrew, keep to the thread...If you build your own rifle it is not a "custom rifle" since you always will take the cheapest route like me.. A real Custom rifle is build by a real gunsmith, that is contracted by a hunter to build him a rifle that will :
    fit the person 100%
    Used only the most expensive Wall nut blank ...Turkish Wall nut that is..
    Use the most expensive/strongest action
    Use the most expensive barrel
    Charge you as much as possible for his hand work and craft...

You will never be able to sell your Custom rifle since it will not fit another person if the builder followed all these requirements...

Nope, custom is not factory built and represents a something that is not standard.

Custom does not always mean made by independent gunsmith, although it can be.

You can customise your own rifle.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Nope, custom is not factory built and represents a something that is not standard.

Custom does not always mean made by independent gunsmith, although it can be.

You can customise your own rifle.
    Yes, but then it is a cheap rifle..not a custom rifle..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Yes, but then it is a cheap rifle..not a custom rifle..
    Gert, to say it in Afrikaans:

JY PRAAT NOU KAK!

A Rigby Big Game PH is a production rifle, not being fitted to individual. The lenght of pull is fixed at 14.5", the action is either a Mauser Double Square Bridge or Single Square Bridge. Barrel is either a heavy profile 22" barrel or a light weight 24". Calibres offered is 375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450Rigby. It is by no means a Custom Rifle, despite retailing for R160 000 in S&O. See below:the-big-game

My cheap 49K rifle with a plastic stock, is a CUSTOM RIFLE, being built and fitted to my specifications and style. Whether you understand that or not. So is your wetdream of a 6.5x55 and 8x68S going to be.

i'm not a Moderator, but for fucksake stop posting shit on threads you do not contribute to. There is enough lies in the world outside Gunsite that we do not need to continue spreading lies/fakenews. Be an upstanding Gunsiter.

Rant over.
    No, my wife is not allowed to know how many firearms I have or buy. Neither what I spend my money on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Gert, to say it in Afrikaans:

JY PRAAT NOU KAK!

A Rigby Big Game PH is a production rifle, not being fitted to individual. The lenght of pull is fixed at 14.5", the action is either a Mauser Double Square Bridge or Single Square Bridge. Barrel is either a heavy profile 22" barrel or a light weight 24". Calibres offered is 375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450Rigby. It is by no means a Custom Rifle, despite retailing for R160 000 in S&O. See below:the-big-game

My cheap 49K rifle with a plastic stock, is a CUSTOM RIFLE, being built and fitted to my specifications and style. Whether you understand that or not. So is your wetdream of a 6.5x55 and 8x68S going to be.

i'm not a Moderator, but for fucksake stop posting shit on threads you do not contribute to. There is enough lies in the world outside Gunsite that we do not need to continue spreading lies/fakenews. Be an upstanding Gunsiter.

Rant over.
    No, my wife is not allowed to know how many firearms I have or buy. Neither what I spend my money on.
    Well said , Finkelstein, you put it in a nice perspective... but I still think a real "custom" rifle can not be bought over the counter..it have to be build by a real gunsmith...

User

but I still think a real "custom" rifle can not be bought over the counter.

Agree. that is called "pimp my rifle" or "add ons". The only time you buy a custom rifle over the counter is when it is a 2nd hand custom rifle. Custom means non standard. As the dictionary states custom made = something that is made for you according to special requirements

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Agree. that is called "pimp my rifle" or "add ons". The only time you buy a custom rifle over the counter is when it is a 2nd hand custom rifle. Custom means non standard. As the dictionary states custom made = something that is made for you according to special requirements
    Exactly , Zulu, you hit the nail centre on it`s head with your definition...while we participated in the buffalo hunt course a while ago Dr. Kevin Robertson told us about a previous group who also attended the previous weekend..one hunter had a "custom .416 Rigby " build for him according to his physic /body shape/trigger pull length for his arms length...to fit perfect...at the cost of R120 000 ...when it was time to shoot at the targets , his rifle stock was completely covered with the carton material Dr.Kevin /Gawie and Piet use to make a rifle fit the hunter before you commence shooting the practice range... How is that for a "custom fit dangerous game rifle " build purposeful build to exact measurements of the hunter???

User

Well said , Finkelstein, you put it in a nice perspective... but I still think a real "custom" rifle can not be bought over the counter..it have to be build by a real gunsmith...
    Gery jy pluk die begripstoets! Daar is net twee gewere: produksie en pasmaak(custom built). Alle gewere wat kommersiël verkoop word deel in die twee klasse in. Alle gewere buiten pypgewere word deur gelisensieerede wapensmede gebou.
    Wat jy met “Real Gunsmith” meen dink ek is beter uit te druk as ‘n regte vaardige vakman (skilled tradesman).
    Die probleem is, dis makliker om jouself te registreer as ‘n wapensmid as om ‘n Loodgieter te word! Daarom is daar persone wat uiterste kak week doen, glo my.
    Hoop jy verstaan dit nou, aangesien die Engelse weergawe lyk my by jou een oor in is en by die ander uit.
    Sorry for the long Afrikaans post. Just said to Gert his English Comprehension is shit, and that I’m like Messor mostly right!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast