User

Default N690 Stainless steel forge knife blade steel : Feedback needed from users????

Good, members, I bought a few pieces of N690 knife blade steel..will be the first time I use this steel to forge kitchen knifes...would really appreciate it very much if someone who already forged this type of steel to give me some feedback please?
    Does it hold a good sharp edge??
    I will be sending the forged blades back to Bohler company to do the hardening and tempering of the forged blades...

Default Re: N690 Stainless steel forge knife blade steel : Feedback needed from users????

It’s one of the better steels that SA knife makers use, as far as I understand.

I only have one knife with N690 but it hasn’t much use yet so can’t comment on edge retention. It sharpens and strops easily enough, probably similarly to VG-10 if I had to compare it.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Default Re: N690 Stainless steel forge knife blade steel : Feedback needed from users????

N690 is like a better 440c... I made a big 25cm bowie for my dad a while back, and a diving knife for a friend out of the same stock (5mm). Bohler heat treated the diving knife, and I did the bowie myself.

Both were stock removal so I cant really comment on its forgability, but a lot of SA makers seem to forge it well. If doing your own ht, do try and purge your furnace with a non oxidising gas, the scale from my quench was... Tedious... To remove. Bowie took ages to sharpen, and still shaves today (8 years down the line, admittedly dad uses it sparingly).

It will be interesting to see how the forging turns out, following with interest

Banned

My very first kife made under tuition was of N690 and hardened to R61-62. It splintered later because the steel became brittle. A bigger problem was sharpening it - it was almoat impossible to sharpen and when sharp it did not hold an edge.

We used stock removal - please read up on the changes to the steel due to the forging process.

Keep the hardening to R59 and take care with the tempering.

User

N690 is decent in terms of edge retention(many other steels out performs it in terms a of edge retention I.e m390,s35vn,elmax). It actually shines in terms of stainlesness.The recommended hardness for heat treatment is between 58 to 60HRC.With minimum maintainance is likely not to rust on you due to it been very stainless .Its also a very easy steel to work with, and used a lot by our local knife makers. It is inexpensive an easly available.Also to add on it's quite an easy steel to maintain in terms of sharpening no diamond stones needed.You can get a a very sharp edge within a short period of time going true a simple system like an lansky. The down side again as stated above is that It does not hold that edge for a long time.

I suggest you speak to Stuart Smith or Neels at Black Dragon forge,if you want to forge a stainless steel.
    Temps are critical with a smaller window,from I understand.
    N690,in composition,is closer to VG10,in my experience.
    It isn't a "super steel",and while the steels mentioned hold a better edge,N690 makes a tougher blade,with correct heat treating and tempering,again,in my experience
    i take knives to a gunfight

User

Members, I really appreciate this great feedback...thank you kindly for putting in the time and effort to elaborate in regards to my question about the N690 steel...I except that high carbon steel keeps an edge longer and gets to be sharper than the N690 stainless steel...my challenge is as follows:
    Few people understand that a knife forge from high carbon steel will get patina on the blade when use cutting food , meat ect..the high carbon steel blade tends to rust as well if not cleaned as soon as you completed using it...lightly oiling it is important as well...

On the other hand , a N690 steel blade will not rust or get patina on it,although the downside is it will not hold an edge for long. To me it is a risk to sell a forged high carbon steel knife to somebody that do not have knowledge about steel..it will not be a good experience if a person returns a knife due to patina or rust on a knife blade of high carbon steel..I like to forge high carbon steel knifes...problem is selling them and they get patina or rust ....I am contemplating bluing all the high carbon steel forged knife blades ..this will ensure no patina or rust at least...

Do you want to forge stainless steel or stock remove it?

Forging stainless is difficult and requires special care.

Stock removal, I have many customs and speak to a kitchen knife maker that grinds N690 to 0.10 or below behind the edge and have used N690 a lot.

Never had a problem but will chip compared to AEB-L.

If you want high sharpness, stainless and toughness AEB-L is what I would recommend. Roman Landess has done a lot of work on it with heat treatment. He is a metallurgist and knife maker.

User

As Marthinus says, why do you want to forge it?

From a metallurgical point of view there is no advantage to forging N690.

Carbon steels designed for forging respond well under the hammer and there are many advantages gained in the forging process. However a steel like N690 is designed for stock removal and will give the best results with that process.

User

Hi Gert,

Just to be clear, are you making a knife, or forging the steel? Forging means heating and hammering steel... possibly making a layered steel or damascus even.

If you bought N690, it IS READY to be cut/shaped as you need, and then you can release the stress and tempter the blade, before sharpening. No forging should be required.

N690 is a VERY popular blade steel for the stock removal method of making a knife, ie cutting and grinding the steel to shape.

It produces good blades, and is quite durable if hardened and tempered correctly. +/-58Rockwell is a good place for most blades, giving you the balance between edge retention and durability.

I have only made knives using Sandvik 12C27 and 14C28N steel. I have a piece of N690 waiting to become some blades.

I believe the Bohler steels are slightly easier to harden/temper than the sandvik. The guys from KMTS in Pretoria has a service where they will harden your blades correctly, per your requirements. Alternatively, Bohler will do it at a nimonal fee, but understand that your blades will simply be processed with others, no attention to detail, or specifics to your needs...

Good luck and enjoy the knifer making!