Default Pigeon, Geese, Guinea Fowl.........Hunts

Morning Guys,

I know there are numerous posts on Wingshooting opportunities all over the forum,

The problem I see is most are inactive or very old,

It will be nice to have one thread were everyone can post opportunities they come across, Private/Groups/Organisations/Farmers whatever.

I also don't want to discuss the question of joining or not joining wingshooting organisations, that's for each individual to decide and its been covered,

I am in Gauteng but it should not be limited to this area,

What do you think is it worth having a thread like this?

Default Re: Pigeon, Geese, Guinea Fowl.........Hunts

+1

I would also like to see a thread with opportunities by region. I am not particularly interested in joining any wing shooting club or association. The Western Cape is fairly devoid of any such opportunity unless you have a friend who is a farmer or if you are a farmer yourself.

User

There are thousands of hectares of available for wingshooting and most farmers are only to happy having hunters
    shooting there. The problem is , is that there are always some shooters that don't know how to behave and ruin things for everyone. It is for this reason that most farmers prefer working through private groups and official organizations who can control their members. Most shooters that have contacts are very secretive about them and probably wont share.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques AMAJUBA View Post
    Morning Guys,

I know there are numerous posts on Wingshooting opportunities all over the forum,

The problem I see is most are inactive or very old,

It will be nice to have one thread were everyone can post opportunities they come across, Private/Groups/Organisations/Farmers whatever.

I also don't want to discuss the question of joining or not joining wingshooting organisations, that's for each individual to decide and its been covered,

I am in Gauteng but it should not be limited to this area,

What do you think is it worth having a thread like this?
    Great idea.

User

There’s been a few of these posts in the past and they rarely work out because people do not easily share wingshooting opportunities.

If you are in Gauteng, Wingshooters is your best bet - they have a lot of shooting venues and are very accommodating.

Down in the Cape there’s not many venues but we still have a number of community shoots, mostly for guineafowl and Cape spurfowl. Wingshooters is also the place to get to know members and is perhaps your best bet to meet others, foster friendships and even get an invite to private shoots.

The biggest issue with inviting strangers is that you don’t know what you will get to deal with so it is like rolling the dice. I have a lot of personal experience stories to bore you with, from the guy that thought we would not notice if he leaves his empty shells in the our bales (stacking them in there) he just used as cover, to the older gentlemen I offered a lift, about 100m back to where his car was parked, in my new landcruiser only for him to invite his mud-trenched and wet dog to sit with him up front and then not having the decency to even offer to clean up the mess, to the guy that made comments about inviting him on a shoot and where he comes from the ‘guides’ do not shoot - he got invited for free and I even sponsored all his ammo. I’ve also had the types that shoot game birds out of season, even though they were specifically briefed what’s ‘game’ and what’s not, like the guy that not only shot two ducks out of season, but had them fall on the roof of the feeding lots and not even have the decency to go and retrieve them which I had to do. We also had the types that complain the whole damn time - nothing is ever right for them and the more they miss the more everything else is at fault besides their own ability.
    A cherry on top was when a friend got hit with some 7 1/2 pellets in his back after a guest got so excited he was swinging through the line - this was after careful briefing and after plenty of repeats of the the ‘blue sky only rule’.

As a note all the invitees were friends of friends or acquaintances and they were all suggested as being the nicest of guys in the world that knows bird shooting.

It’s not only been doom and gloom as we have made some good friends and had some amazingly courteous individuals joining us.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post

Down in the Cape there’s not many venues but we still have a number of community shoots, mostly for guineafowl and Cape spurfowl. Wingshooters is also the place to get to know members and is perhaps your best bet to meet others, foster friendships and even get an invite to private shoots.
    I went on one or two of those community shoots years ago but when I tried asking around about them last year but nobody seemed to know if they still happen. Is there some sort of email list to get onto or some other way to keep informed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    There’s been a few of these posts in the past and they rarely work out because people do not easily share wingshooting opportunities.

If you are in Gauteng, Wingshooters is your best bet - they have a lot of shooting venues and are very accommodating.

The biggest issue with inviting strangers is that you don’t know what you will get to deal with so it is like rolling the dice. I have a lot of personal experience stories to bore you with, from the guy that thought we would not notice if he leaves his empty shells in the our bales (stacking them in there) he just used as cover, to the older gentlemen I offered a lift, about 100m back to where his car was parked, in my new landcruiser only for him to invite his mud-trenched and wet dog to sit with him up front and then not having the decency to even offer to clean up the mess, to the guy that made comments about inviting him on a shoot and where he comes from the ‘guides’ do not shoot - he got invited for free and I even sponsored all his ammo. I’ve also had the types that shoot game birds out of season, even though they were specifically briefed what’s ‘game’ and what’s not, like the guy that not only shot two ducks out of season, but had them fall on the roof of the feeding lots and not even have the decency to go and retrieve them which I had to do. We also had the types that complain the whole damn time - nothing is ever right for them and the more they miss the more everything else is at fault besides their own ability.
    A cherry on top was when a friend got hit with some 7 1/2 pellets in his back after a guest got so excited he was swinging through the line - this was after careful briefing and after plenty of repeats of the the ‘blue sky only rule’.

As a note all the invitees were friends of friends or acquaintances and they were all suggested as being the nicest of guys in the world that knows bird shooting.

It’s not only been doom and gloom as we have made some good friends and had some amazingly courteous individuals joining us.
    Quite sad how many so called wingshooters behave, I have gone from trying my best to take everyone along to being very secretive about my venues and selective as to whom I now take along.

What I still cannot get over is why anybody would think it is OK to leave their rubbish out in the fields, you brought it onto the property take it home and dump it in the trash can.

And realise when it is time to stop shooting

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I went on one or two of those community shoots years ago but when I tried asking around about them last year but nobody seemed to know if they still happen. Is there some sort of email list to get onto or some other way to keep informed?
    Yes and no. Some of the mailing lists still exist, like the Round Table one, and others have been purged. Next shoot is on 13 July for pheasants, but I'm not sure if there are any more spots open. Best is to join Wingshooters as Andre is also on most of the lists and will be able to inform members.