Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Australia - they do not clean their guns these parts.

I believe we are seeing cumulative copper deposits which will increase the barrel friction.

Niekie, do you accept my challenge. Would do us all the world of good.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

I wonder how the condition of the rifle will be described when it is put up "For Sale" Like a 2nd hand car: Regularly serviced every 100 000km

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Scrubbing the barrel too much is not to my liking. For me it depend on the rifle. For instance, my 30-06 accuracy stay consistent with or without barrel cleaning. So I dont scrub the barrel too often. Maybe after 80-100 shots because I think it is the right thing to do. My .44 lever guns accuracy (Marlin, we know about their thread tipe...), goes bonkers with cleaning. (Not shooting cast bullets, only jacketed.) My .22 Brno barrel I almost never clean. It just kill the accuracy. Etc. IMHO there is no clear cut "rule" like servicing your car.

Cleaning the lugs and chamber often, that I do. Especially the AR. As with copper solvent that is not widely used by 100% of shooters I think the same goes with regards to fit to caliber chamber brushes. A lot of problems with firearms and reloading etc might be corrected by cleaning the chambers and lug recesses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I believe we are seeing cumulative copper deposits which will increase the barrel friction.

Niekie, do you accept my challenge. Would do us all the world of good.
    Morning Andrew.

Sadly the barrel was condemned. Because of the excessive pitting and in some places the rifling was non-existent for 7-8mm the gunsmith advised against any further use.

We've spend two days and lots of Bore Tech to try and clean this barrel before we put the bore scope in. The foto was taken after all this effort.

The owner has shot mostly nato ammo. The bore was never cleaned and for the last couple of years the rifle was never used. We convinced the guy to do proper load develpment and then the fun started.

Last time this rifle was fired it could not hit a A4 target at 100m.

I am willing to bet that has nothing to do with not cleaning copper out but instead corrosion from humidity and or getting moisture in the bore at some point which would cause the pitting. The 7-8 mm wear also does not add up to this few rounds.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Myself refuse to use the wrong caliber ammo in any rifle. .556 Nato is not .223 It might damage a rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Myself refuse to use the wrong caliber ammo in any rifle. .556 Nato is not .223 It might damage a rifle.
    If you can fit .556 through a .223 barrel, I believe the term would be "severely shot out".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I am willing to bet that has nothing to do with not cleaning copper out but instead corrosion from humidity and or getting moisture in the bore at some point which would cause the pitting. The 7-8 mm wear also does not add up to this few rounds.
    I checked some of the other fire arms in the safe and they look ok. BUT... they were cleaned after the last use.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If you can fit .556 through a .223 barrel, I believe the term would be "severely shot out".
    Ha!
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast