Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Weimarana as hunting dogs?

Weimarana. I have been offered a 1 1/2 year old dog and am wondering if anyone out there has had these dogs and how they perform in the field.
    I would appreciate any response from people out there

Default Re: Weimarana as hunting dogs?

Good dogs but as with everything, training.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

We have had three Weimaraners in a row. All are/were housedogs and unbelievably loyal. Training and discipline is essential. The Weimaraner was originally bred to hunt bear in packs but the modern Weimaraner will hunt and retrieve as you train it to do. Our Ridgeback (right) had to be put down due to cancer a year ago. Tosca (Weimaraner) moped around the house for a week looking for her. As far as we know, they never had a disagreement.

Thanks to FrankH and Gerard.
    This dog has been with us for a day and has settled in well,unfortunately has only had puppy training and nothing since by the look of it. The dog arrived yesterday with one of these wraparound straps with the lead attached on the back like you would see on a Dashund. Owners clueless and bribing the dog with treats. What a shame,good dog but maybe too late for hunting training. I have found a good home for him as an alarm and pet with my neighbour. I have had GSP's in the past and have one on order with Slang Viljoen.

If the dog has the innate drive to hunt, 1 1/2 years is not only not too late, it is almost the perfect time to begin serious training with a young dog. He won't mature until somewhere between 3 and 5. I will say, however, that by that age issues may have been allowed to develop that can take a while to straighten out...especially if one is not able to train daily or almost every day.

No one, of course, can put that drive into him. It was either there at birth or it was not. He has the tools, but without the drive they mean little.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Beautiful dogs Gerard!

User

Is their anyone on the forum that owns a weim and hunt with it? And when you compare it to the GSP or GWP how do the fare. Anyone know of someone that breeds with hunting in mind and not just for the showring?

One word.

No.

User

They would be featuring in the field trials and HPR trials if they were any good IMO, this is not to say that they still arnt brilliant dogs, but from a pure hunting point one would be better off with a GSP simply because the breed standard has been maintained for hunting.

User

Don Ramon,
    is a watch made in Switzerland by SA Breitling or Jaeger - LeCoultre worse then a watch made by Swatch only because you don´t see them not so often?
    Sure not - quite the contrary!
    The same is with the Weimaraner.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast