User

Default Rather stupid question regarding cleaning

I'm finding different answers when applying google-fu, so asking here. My 6.5CM likes a clean barrel. After about a 100 rounds the groups noticeably opens up. Keep in mind in a single match we can shoot over 50 rounds easily.

After applying the copper solvent (Shooters Choice in my case), I let it work for 5 mins in the barrel, then scrub carefully with a copper brush, and then remove with a number of patches until they come out clean. Now, the question: Should I run a boresnake covered in something like Ballistol through it afterwards, or just leave it?

Banned

Default Re: Rather stupid question regarding cleaning

How many different theories opinions you needing.
    Soft oiled cloth for storage my opinion, though even that I seldom do - clean store weapon - only rifle bore I ever had rust was the Ruger All American, but it would rust inside outside overnight if you just looked at it.

User

I like to store al my firearms with a light coat of Ballistol in the bore, not that they would easily rust here in GP.

Ballistol also has a tendency to loosen extra crud in a "clean" barrel when you dry the bore before shooting.

Just dont shoot your rifle without taking any oil at of barrel.
    Ballistol is good oil for protecting.

Ive heard over the years. And it could just be a myth, as a person hears millions of theories from everywhere. But apparently if you have oil residue in barrel.
    The bullet when it hits the oil. Will push the oil between it and barrel. Causing damage.
    As apparently the oil will only burn away under the heat once the bullet passes the point and the gasses gets to the oil.

I use Forest bore foam. Spray in. Leave 10-15min and put patches through till clean.
    Never used a brush. Never also used anything but forest foam. As its easy and quick.
    The forest foam dissolves copper and all residue.

I have a boresnake. When I get to range I always pull through before I shoot. And after I finish. But there is no oil on it. Just a clean boresnake.

User

Thanks shooty, I might try find some of this foam, looks like Dave Sheers stocks it, and it's on my way home from work. Will try it on my 3006 first, the barrel is pretty worn and should be interesting to see the result.

Been using it in my Remington 308VSSF barrel since late 90's. And its still a tac driver.

You will see after about 10 - 15min the white foam changes dark. This is the copper it dissolved.