Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Survived with minor injuries

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Very glad to hear that!

User

Waiting to hear the feedback from experienced DG hunters or PHs on what the procedure should have been.

User

Firstly, I don't think that was a 375, look at the muzzle rise.
    Secondly, was the PH even qualified for DG?
    Thirdly, the PH's reloading skills were shocking.

Then, when they saw it lying under the Bush, why didn't they shoot it there? You don't take a chance with a Buffalo
    A roaring Lion kills no game

2 Farmers we go to every year to hunt at in Merweville. Stopped hunters to even hunt springbuck with a .243. They just dont like it. Although they use it for Jackal.

Then again I went on a hunt in Sutherland. Where the famrer and his sons shot with 222 and 223 springbuck. Mostly neck and head shots.

Then again its not always the caliber that is not capable. Its more of the time the hinter who is not skilled enough to put the shot where he was aiming.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Thirdly, the PH's reloading skills were shocking.
    Yeah, the reloading alone made me wonder if he is a regularly practicing PH in the first place. As a lefty, he almost seemed confused as to how to quickly reload, like its something he doesn't do regularly or practice, even as a lefty.

I am also going to guess that most PH's who hunt dangerous game, will shoot a left handed rifle if they themselves shooting left handed. Would be interested to know from any gunsiters if they know of any PH's who dont?

A whole lot of wrong in that clip, and even more luck. Glad the oke made it out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Yeah, the reloading alone made me wonder if he is a regularly practicing PH in the first place. As a lefty, he almost seemed confused as to how to quickly reload, like its something he doesn't do regularly or practice, even as a lefty.

I am also going to guess that most PH's who hunt dangerous game, will shoot a left handed rifle if they themselves shooting left handed. Would be interested to know from any gunsiters if they know of any PH's who dont?

A whole lot of wrong in that clip, and even more luck. Glad the oke made it out.
    Let's be honest. Look at Finkelstein's thread on building a Big Bore Lefty and the costs.
    Not everyone can afford a left hand rifle, but then become competent reloading a RH rifle to avoid situations like that.

And there is a reason why guys like Kevin Robertson says a 458 cal with 500gr bullet at 2150fps is minimum as a stopper rifle. Some good monolithics like Dzombos with straight line penetration is a must.

I have even just got a Kahles RD for my Lott for quicker sight aquisition

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    And there is a reason why guys like Kevin Robertson says a 458 cal with 500gr bullet at 2150fps is minimum as a stopper rifle. Some good monolithics like Dzombos with straight line penetration is a must.
    My experience with buffalo is limited to two animals and neither was wounded. My question to you chaps with buffalo experience is this: Will a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet reliably stop a charging buffalo with a chest shot? Or do you need to hit the brain or spine to stop it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My experience with buffalo is limited to two animals and neither was wounded. My question to you chaps with buffalo experience is this: Will a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet reliably stop a charging buffalo with a chest shot? Or do you need to hit the brain or spine to stop it?
    To be honest, I have been close a few times, but have never had a charge.
    Once the Buffalo smell blood, they get even more befok.
    If you see it's a good shot and the terrain isn't bad, then leave the animal or get a quick follow up shot if possible, then leave.
    The herd will normally come back to the fallen animal with the death bellow. There is no need to push. Stand back and let them do their thing. Once the animal is dead they will move off. If you push them, you are looking for kak.

Normally you will have to wait for a last minute shot when they drop their head to hook you and you shoot into the neck behind the boss or a head shot of you have time. If you will have time for 2 shots, You can try a shot just below the chin which will go through and hit the neck/spine which will put him straight down, but if it misses or you have only time for 1 shot, it's a head/neck shot or a mauling.

I have a video on my phone of a hunt that I took. After the one Bull went down, his buddy kept trying to lift him with his horns, and stood guard over him. Then he started licking the blood off the bull, looked at us, licked his lips, snorted and took 2 steps forward at us while snorting. Had to advise the Outfitter that either we retreat or we will shoot a 2nd Bull. We left very quickly then....

User

And considering that I only carry solids on a DG backup means you need to hit it right. No soft/expanding bullets

Banned

I see they edited out the part where guy on left sais to guy on camera duty " here ! -hold my drink".

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast