Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 100
  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philippolis
    Posts
    4,727

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post

    Normally you will have to wait for a last minute shot when they drop their head to hook you and you shoot into the neck behind the boss or a head shot of you have time. If you will have time for 2 shots, You can try a shot just below the chin which will go through and hit the neck/spine which will put him straight down, but if it misses or you have only time for 1 shot, it's a head/neck shot or a mauling.
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I have had a couple of chance, close quarters meetings with buffalo while hunting other game in thick riverine bush, so I am trying to learn here. If the only way to stop a close range charge is a shot to the brain or into the spine, why is a large heavy rifle better than a smaller caliber, lighter rifle that is easier to handle and that you shoot often (as when backing clients on wounded antelope and pigs), under stress and at moving animals? Would a 9.3mm or .375 with a good monolithic bullet not kill just as dead on brain and spine shots as a .458?

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    2,963

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Well, shot placement is key. That is the most important factor as you will know.
    But, the general consensus is the bigger the better. So if you do miss, but still have 1m of penetration to go, you might hit something else vital.

    There are many stories of Elephant being brain shot with big bore rifles, where the bullet misses the brain, but the shockwave stuns the animal, allowing for a follow up shot.

    Who knows, maybe a 700NE to the chest of a charging buffalo might persuade it to deviate it's course....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philippolis
    Posts
    4,727

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Well, shot placement is key. That is the most important factor as you will know.
    But, the general consensus is the bigger the better. So if you do miss, but still have 1m of penetration to go, you might hit something else vital.

    There are many stories of Elephant being brain shot with big bore rifles, where the bullet misses the brain, but the shockwave stuns the animal, allowing for a follow up shot.

    Who knows, maybe a 700NE to the chest of a charging buffalo might persuade it to deviate it's course....
    Thanks.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stella
    Age
    46
    Posts
    10,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My experience with buffalo is limited to two animals and neither was wounded. My question to you chaps with buffalo experience is this: Will a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet reliably stop a charging buffalo with a chest shot? Or do you need to hit the brain or spine to stop it?
    No personal hunting experience with buffalo. A very good friend shot a cow in Zambia. She happily charged at them once wounded. Then she took three solids to the heart and charged on by to die a distance away. On your question why the bigger calibre bullets are preferred: I always understood it us to ensure penetration, and to maximise the chance of a stopper in case of a less than ideal shot. My guess is that it has to do with shock to the nervous system.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,588

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I have had a couple of chance, close quarters meetings with buffalo while hunting other game in thick riverine bush, so I am trying to learn here. If the only way to stop a close range charge is a shot to the brain or into the spine, why is a large heavy rifle better than a smaller caliber, lighter rifle that is easier to handle and that you shoot often (as when backing clients on wounded antelope and pigs), under stress and at moving animals? Would a 9.3mm or .375 with a good monolithic bullet not kill just as dead on brain and spine shots as a .458?
    ************
    are you not then limiting your shot to only one scenario, head down brain spine shot ? the 375 300 gr bullet should work fine. What if the scenario changed and you had to shoot the Buff from behind , say helping another person being gored, then that 458 -500 gr bullet is going to be plenty needed. I think the big guns are used to cover all the unforeseen and unlikely events.
    In a foreseen planned shot at brain spine even a lessor caliber would work.
    ( not posted as a professional not thinking I know it all, just how thought it worked)

  6. #26
    Member Andrew Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Gansbaai - Western Cape
    Posts
    7,296

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    I did not hear a large caliber fire?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    This is exactly how not to follow a wounded or unwounded buffalo. I've had my fair share of buff hunting. Nothing the equivalent to a Zim or Tanzanian PH that has them on quota with every client.

    It is my perception that with all the breeding of buff in SA folks here seem very casual and treat them as semi domesticated. They are when you feed them their daily lucerne however animals know when they are hunted, that wild instinct kicks in.

    Really poor form in the video. A lot to learn from.

  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philippolis
    Posts
    4,727

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    ************
    are you not then limiting your shot to only one scenario, head down brain spine shot ? the 375 300 gr bullet should work fine. What if the scenario changed and you had to shoot the Buff from behind , say helping another person being gored, then that 458 -500 gr bullet is going to be plenty needed. I think the big guns are used to cover all the unforeseen and unlikely events.
    In a foreseen planned shot at brain spine even a lessor caliber would work.
    ( not posted as a professional not thinking I know it all, just how thought it worked)
    The .375 with modern bullets does not lack penetration, even in length wise shots. I do realise that a .458 solid makes a bigger hole than a .375 solid but when it comes to depth of penetration a 286gr or 300gr monolithic solid from a .375 will penetrate deep enough from any angle.

  9. #29
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    2,963

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    A 375 with a 300gr solid can do the job if the spine or brain is hit. Even the 30-06 would have worked if shot placement was on. And talking about excellent Penetration, the 416's haven't had a mention yet
    But when you have a pissed off Buffalo intent on hooking and stomping you, he doesn't stand still for a shot. And you are always left wishing you had a bigger gun with you.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

  10. #30
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philippolis
    Posts
    4,727

    Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    A 375 with a 300gr solid can do the job if the spine or brain is hit. Even the 30-06 would have worked if shot placement was on. And talking about excellent Penetration, the 416's haven't had a mention yet
    But when you have a pissed off Buffalo intent on hooking and stomping you, he doesn't stand still for a shot. And you are always left wishing you had a bigger gun with you.
    Sure. My point is that for the ph who shoot a lot of plains game, but very few buffalo, a .375 (or similar) caliber is suitable for all of his hunting, giving him a lot of practical experience shooting, with that rifle, at animals, including moving ones. How many ph's, except for those that hunt dangerous game on a daily basis, get to shoot a .458 enough at game to get really familiar with it?

    Would you rather go after a wounded buffalo with a .375 that you are really familiar with, or with a .458 that you very rarely shoot?

    In the OP video, the problem does not seem to be too small a caliber, it seems that shooting and rifle handling skill, or actually the lack there off, is the problem.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •