Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Carry Folders again

Just been looking at ordering a Spyderco Military on a lazy Saturday evening, then when I checked the size of the thing it seemed quite a large knife for a folder, not sure this would be very comfortable to carry.

Here the spec's
    Length Overall 9 1/2" (241 mm)
    Length Closed 5 1/2" (139 mm)
    Blade Length 4" (102 mm)

I know the Endura is quite popular, but it also seems quite large would do you guys think of these, they seem pretty close in size?

Length Overall 8 3/4'' (222 mm)
    Length Closed 5'' (127 mm)
    Blade Length 3 3/4'' (96 mm)

The only knife that I have here in the Peoples Republic is a 5" folder and seems a bit large to be an everyday carry item.

Opinions please

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Carry Folders again

I have two Police models from Spyderco, similar size, would love the millitary.
    Nope not too big.
    With the pocket clip, clipped onto your pocket a knife that size is easy to carry.
    Your pocket extends a lot deeper.
    If it were a knife that would be carried loosely in the pocket i could see it being too big.
    I like a folder with a longer blade.

A lot of guys I know carry the Cold Steel 6" Voyager, no problem. The Spyderco Military is a nice knife, go for it!

I carry 2 x Endura 4's everyday without any problems and do not find them to big. I would say what assist is that it is more a 'slimline' design that makes daily carry quite easy.

OK, which one of these should it be?

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Personally I'd take the plain edge or the black partially serrated one. I'm not a huge fan of serrations.

I do not get the 50/50 blade and thus say either get the plain or the serated. If you prefer and are convinced about serated, then take the serated, if not, take the plain. I am however personally leaning towards the plain and have doubts about serated and thus my choice would be the the plain edge.

Banned

Spyderco Military! Classic folder with excellent ergonomics, take 'em all! Personally, and if you're only going to be carrying one blade, I'd got with the half-serration (the black one in the middle). I don't think any of the options (plain or serrated or 1/2 & 1/2) are inherently "bad" and it depends on personal taste and what you intend using the blade for. You'll find pages of debate on the interweb knocking and praising one or the other but I like the compromise of having both cutting power in the serrated portion of the blade and the cutting accuracy with the straight portion. Try cutting / hacking through a sternum with just a plain edge blade! >:(

hpy194 I just imagined the SAPS finding dhignett crouched over the body of his attacker trying to saw through his sternim hpy194

Now that would take some explaining!! ;D

Banned

Geoff?! Don't they teach you the "three-fingered-one-blade-deadly-hajiguru-single-stroke-sternum-crack technique" in AMOK? cfd89 The Spyderco Military in black with half serration works best for this (thread maintained, phew...). ;D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast