Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Carry Folders again

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    hpy194 I just imagined the SAPS finding dhignett crouched over the body of his attacker trying to saw through his sternim hpy194

Now that would take some explaining!! ;D
    Excellent!!!!! lv29

While I have a lot of respect for the AMOK! guys and know they prefer plain edges, I continue to be a fan of fully serrated blades for SD work. They can be a b@tch to resharpen however, even with a Spyderco 'Sharpmaker' sharpener and should you decide to, say, cut up a cardboard box with your blade, you will not find the edge to work as well for everyday use. I have also come to prefer the Endura or Delica with fiberglass / nylon handle. Very strong locks, very thin and light and inexpensive enough that if lost you will not have to wear black and go into mourning for a month. Losing an expensive semi-custom folder is not an experience I ever want to repeat! :'(
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Banned

Pretty good and balanced article (re: serrated versus plain (or both):

http://www.agrussell.com/article.asp...cd2=1228736059

Yo, Geoff. I sometimes get hacking a springbok sternum and slicing a human scrotum confused... I'll show you what I mean on Sunday at the shoot confused0068

Does serrated not get stuck on clothes during a SD situation. cfd89

Clothing and serrations are not friends, your cutting depth through clothing will be less with a serrated blade where as a plain edge will slice through and deeper into the meat behind, which is the whole point.

User

i use my knifes everyday. And can tel u that my kersaw whith a serated blade stays at hom. Just because they are a hell of a lott more work to sharpen

Then plain is the way to go unless one carries a blade to cut apples

i've found that serrations work well on bare skin/flesh,but snag on clothing.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Well, I'll be honest, I'm not going to be carrying this at the moment, so there's one plus, I shouldn't loose it. In fact in the People's Republic, I may not carry this, and I'll have to make a daring drive to and from the post office to collect it when it arrives, so at the moment its just to cuddle at home. I'll keep it for when I'm on holiday at home (aka deployed).

I'm still a bit unsure about which to get between the plain and part serrated, I quite like the Delta Force / SAS / Ranger Recon Black one, but the plain is also appealing. I still can't get dhignett's sternum comment out my head from when I read it this morning, ye, ye ! ! fighting0035

I'm going to look for a plain black one and go with that if I find one, other wise, probably go with the plain silver one.

Thanks guys.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Craig, I have had a couple since they were released and still have an occasionally carried and very little used serrated and a more carried but little used plain edge. They are very nice knives and very easy to carry - lightweight and slim.

My focus has since changed to Strider and Wilson Tactical and I do not utilise the Mil anymore.

If you haven't found a Mil yet and you do not necessarily need a new Mil contact me and we can maybe set up a deal at quite a bit less than you would have to pay for a new one.

I can say that Spyderco serrateds are awesome cutters through any material when applied with the necessary force.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast