Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Carry Folders again

RE Sharpening of blades serrated or not - I do not let my knives get blunt or obtuse. I make apoint of regularly touching up the edge with a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

This procedure saves a lot of time and effort in not having to get a blunt knife sharp again.

If you give the necessary touch up attention to a Spyderco serrated blade it is very easy to maintain a very sharp edge.

Thanks for the offer Khumba, I thought I was possibly getting one for Christmas, it was kind of in the pipeline, then to my surprise, I got a set of kitchen knives. ??? Probably because she got a Kenwood Chef as a birthday present, well additional present, but it was a brave move by all accounts.

You know woman, always trying to be practical, they were pretty nice though and sharp, she's managed to cut herself 3 times already and me once, and that was in the first 3 days, seriously!

I'm still quite keen on the Millie though.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Any body have one of these? I have one in my stock . Very nice to handle and the reverse grip very comfortable. I'm thinking about using it myself. Seems a pretty good SD knife if you dont want anything too bulky in your pocket.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

any one own or used or know where i can find a Cherusker messer Lapu Lapu Corto Magnum or standard, here is a pic:

User

what do you guys think of the coldsteel ti-lite as a carry folder?

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    what do you guys think of the coldsteel ti-lite as a carry folder?
    Hi pietskiet

I own the 6" ti-lite, a beautiful knife, i was going to get the smaller 4" i think it is, but my friends talked me out of it, they also both have the 6" with the "plastic" grip, a very well made and finished knife with a wicked razor sharp edge and point. would not want to get stuck with this thing, i carried it for awhile and it was perfect, i love the opening with the quillion, which is lighting fast and the fact that, as the 6" has a long handle, one can use it as a self defense weapon closed with the rear of the knife as an impact tool and the forend with the quillions as a kind of mace, they will put a man down with one blow.

Mine is brand new and resides in oil in my safe, i now use the CRKT M1604Z Carson design tanto point and my CRKT Crawford Casper as my carry knives now...

Pietskiet, I used to really like Cold Steel products, I had both ti-lite's, I got the 6'' a couple of years ago, it was still brand new when we did something at Special Forces, we did a couple of "tests and demonstrations" with it, nothing close to what they do on the Cold steel DVD, but sadly the lock failed very quickly, and we are really not talking about serious abuse here, another blade we took was one of the voyagers, the blade broke in 2 like it was a piece of glass. Now hear me good when I say this, I don't think that Cold Steel makes bad knifes, but I will be very hard pressed to ever carry one again in my life, out of 4 that I owned, 2 failed miserably, and made me look like a stupid idiot, so sadly to me Cold Steel is totally out of the question, unless I can be convinced otherwise, and yes I can be convinced, oh well just shortly my experience with CS.

mm thats sad to hear SWATG...

I have owned and still do, a number of CS products, and have always found them to be 100%, that being said i dont really abuse them at all... I still have faith in them, what do you put stock into then, if not for Cold Steel, amoung others i like Emerson, Gerber (have the 06 Auto in tanto point), Spyderco and of course CS...

so what are you putting your life on the line with, sharp steel wise?

Very good question andy, I am blessed with a gift, no matter what product or brand I buy, I will get the "dud" from pistols all the way to knifes batons etc. about 80% of all products that I have used or bought have failed me dismally at some stage, so firstly I do not trust my life with any man made tool whatsoever, this is most probably why I train slightly harder than most other people, because I need to branch or transition within a split second, you could ask some of the people attending my courses that transitioning, or changing the fight in an instant by now comes very naturally to me, maybe I was hardwired that way.

To come back to your question, yes this has become very difficult for me as well, performing many force on force training, and generally trying to train as realistsic as possible, I have drastically "minimized" my gear as of late, firstly retention becomes a major factor, secondly I believe that all my equipment has to adhere to my fighting system, I will not waste time on acquiring a whole new system because of the tool that I want to carry, now this might sound funny, but I have owned a CRKT M16/14 ZSF for so many years I can't even recall how long I had it for, I just know it was one of the first of these blades that landed in SA, now this by no measure the "best" blade out there, but it served me well, but it is definitely time for retirement, as the lock is showing serious signs of wear, I will most probably not be replacing it with the same knife, as of late I am moving away from the so "called fighting folder" as in my opinion a folder is far from ideal when you are under a serious attack, but I guess I have have to replace it with some type of folder, but in my case cost becomes a factor, as I will have to purchase two, the reasoning for this is because I had so many equipment problems in the past, that I will first purchase one blade, and seriously put it through it's paces, most probably until it breaks, then decide if I will purchase another one for carry purposes, long gone are the days that I listen to some "grand master superior pumba death kiss master" on what product I should purchase, for me I will test it first, and then decide.

Currently the only blade that I have some trust in is my KA BAR TDI twins, let me state these knifes are not perfect, as I would like some changes on them, but they are reliable, extremely fast, and can be carried totally ambidextrous, and the way you fight with them suits me just fine, I can draw and stab with one of these way faster than with a pistol, also it conforms to the way I train and fight, the system just works for me, it is almost like I am fighting with a pistol in hand, and that idea I like, as this negates a lot of possible fumbling and system failures under pressure

User

sjoe... lots to learn... thanks guys.

i carry the CRKT 16ZSF and altho its might be the best, its great value for money. it has a 4" blade and is perhaps slightly bigger than the specs on the opening thread. not big at all.

as for the serrations argument... winter is coming. if need be, I'll need serrations to rip thru the perp's jersey or jacket before i can open skin. smooth blades are less effective at that task i.m.o.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast