Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: My budget hunting rifle build thread

talk to us, saves some of us buying a new rifle to toy with [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Treeman\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG].
    Took my latest to range yesterday and it shoots one hole groups with certain ammo - guess I won’t be late nighting with this one.

User

OK, so I loaded up a bunch of loads for the rifle using the 155gr Frontier Range Master bullets for the weekend. Sat down on Sat morning and fired them all at paper. Knowing I'm on paper helped. First group was way low and slightly to the right, but still landed under 1" at 100m. I was pretty chuffed, but decided to not dial the scope and fired the second group, with a different load. Slightly opened up. Repeated with the third, and group opened up again. So I know for a fact my load is closer to the first group (very shorter jump than before, slightly less powder).

Anyway, it taught me one thing - the bedding did it's job. Rifle is more consistent than before, which was really worrying for me. Shaved about 0.5" off the groups from the various loads I tested before and after bedding. I also found where the rifle should be shooting "well" with those bullets. Lastly, I'm not TOO impressed with those bullets. They seem terribly jump sensitive, so I'll maybe look for something heavier. 1:10 is a bit fast for a 155gr.

Lots to load. Lots to figure out. It's fun.

User

Nah, mono bullets like a bigger jump because engraving pressure is higher, the bigger the jump the more uniform the engraving pressure.
    Jump sensitive is only related to two things, bullet concentricity and pressure.

User

Mine closed up on those monos with a 1mm jump, from a 4.3mm jump on the previous loads. Groups opened up as I increased the jump from 1mm to 1.3mm, 1.8mm, 2.3mm, etc.

EDIT: I have to add that I'll definitely test this more, though. Will have to load several loads at that well-grouping one to see if it's repeatable over time, at least.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Mine closed up on those monos with a 1mm jump, from a 4.3mm jump on the previous loads. Groups opened up as I increased the jump from 1mm to 1.3mm, 1.8mm, 2.3mm, etc.

EDIT: I have to add that I'll definitely test this more, though. Will have to load several loads at that well-grouping one to see if it's repeatable over time, at least.
    Was this with the same propellant charge? Chances are the smaller jump gave higher starting pressures, leading to higher speed. You -should- see the groups also closing for the larger jump if yoh up the charge a little to get the same speed as with the shorter jump.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Was this with the same propellant charge? Chances are the smaller jump gave higher starting pressures, leading to higher speed. You -should- see the groups also closing for the larger jump if yoh up the charge a little to get the same speed as with the shorter jump.
    No. Knowing the pressure will increase with less of a jump, I decreased the load with .5 grains to compensate. That would explain why the load shot similar, but not as tight, with a higher charge, but larger jump. I prefer a shorter jump and less powder, to be honest. The lower charge shot noticeably lighter.

User

Then you're changing 2 variables at a time, meaning you cant attribute the change in group sizes to the jump alone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Then you're changing 2 variables at a time, meaning you cant attribute the change in group sizes to the jump alone.
    Correct. I was loading different jumps and different powder charges. I also loaded the shorter jump with an identical powder load as before (but didn't want to shoot the higher load before looking at pressure because of the shorter jump), but found they don't group as tight either. I am now going to pull the rest of the bullets (no use in shooting them as I know the groups open up) and load them all around the shorter jump and around the lower charge.

User

Didnt go through the last few pages, but have you shot it with factory ammo?
    Over the past year i have found all the guys i have introduced to hunting/friends , when they recieved their rifles mainly Howas and a tikka, none wouldnt give good groupings with okaish factory ammo..Federal and s&b ammo. Handloading would ofcourse give bettter results but i was mighty impressed what the standard hogue howas were doing with mass produced blue box federal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Didnt go through the last few pages, but have you shot it with factory ammo?
    Over the past year i have found all the guys i have introduced to hunting/friends , when they recieved their rifles mainly Howas and a tikka, none wouldnt give good groupings with okaish factory ammo..Federal and s&b ammo. Handloading would ofcourse give bettter results but i was mighty impressed what the standard hogue howas were doing with mass produced blue box federal.
    I tried over the weekend, but I was in a hurry and fired factory ammo at the same A4-target at 100m. I couldn't get on paper. I'll get it on paper at a closer distance (say 50m) and then extend to 100m next time I'm at the range.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast