Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    User

Default Re: My budget hunting rifle build thread

Alright, so due to lockdown and me and my wife losing our jobs and crisis and worry and all kinds of madness (including a new baby on the way), I've neglected this rifle to hell and back. However, a week or so ago I decided to get to action, stop all the issues and just get going.

So I finally booked the gun in and fitted the silencer:

I then also went to the local gunshop and bought the cheapest factory ammo I could find. Found I hit about 30 clicks on the scope low on the target compared to the other ammo (that's A LOT). I dialed up, hit the elevation and shot two groups (rapid groups). With the PPU 180g ammo I shot I got two groups, one with touching sides when taking my time and another group of around 1.5" in picking up wind, shooting quickly just to make sure I keep hitting the target.

I was in a hurry so left it there, but at least I'm in the "tennis ball" range at 100m now. I'll take an afternoon sometime this week hopefully to really dial it in, and then for a hunting rifle I'm sorted. Got to get working on biltong for the upcoming few months now.

PS: With the stuff I've done to it (heavier stock and the silencer added), the recoil from this rifle is REALLY pleasant right now. It's got a light and gentle kick to it, with very little flip. Silencer works REALLY well and it's actually quite possible to shoot without earmuffs now (done it, actually, just to check).

User

Welcome back, glad to hear she is still shooting well. You and wife sorted on the employment side again?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I like the look of that stock!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

That's a great looking rifle considering the budget you spent on it, well done!

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Welcome back, glad to hear she is still shooting well. You and wife sorted on the employment side again?
    Yeah I started my own business that kept us afloat through the hard times, and got a job a week or so ago. Wife's also employed (but only temporarily). She'll be staying home with the kids once the new one comes along. New job pays less, but it's closer to home and just much less of a hassle. So overall, we're down half our income (give or take) from a year ago the same time, but hell, in a so much nicer position emotionally.

But thanks. I still have A LOT to do on the rifle (next up is getting the trigger to break lightly, I didn't get the key to adjust it in the box so it's damn heavy), but it's starting to come along. At least I know now I can take her hunting and she won't disappoint me. I'm already looking at buying some Federal Fusion 180 grainers for her so I can try and mimic the box load from Federal. That ammo kicks like a mule (almost 2,800FPS) but it's a nice bonded bullet, and that just puts my mind a bit more at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Alright, so due to lockdown and me and my wife losing our jobs and crisis and worry and all kinds of madness (including a new baby on the way), I've neglected this rifle to hell and back. However, a week or so ago I decided to get to action, stop all the issues and just get going.

So I finally booked the gun in and fitted the silencer:

I then also went to the local gunshop and bought the cheapest factory ammo I could find. Found I hit about 30 clicks on the scope low on the target compared to the other ammo (that's A LOT). I dialed up, hit the elevation and shot two groups (rapid groups). With the PPU 180g ammo I shot I got two groups, one with touching sides when taking my time and another group of around 1.5" in picking up wind, shooting quickly just to make sure I keep hitting the target.

I was in a hurry so left it there, but at least I'm in the "tennis ball" range at 100m now. I'll take an afternoon sometime this week hopefully to really dial it in, and then for a hunting rifle I'm sorted. Got to get working on biltong for the upcoming few months now.

PS: With the stuff I've done to it (heavier stock and the silencer added), the recoil from this rifle is REALLY pleasant right now. It's got a light and gentle kick to it, with very little flip. Silencer works REALLY well and it's actually quite possible to shoot without earmuffs now (done it, actually, just to check).
    Nicely done - sounds like you had some fun with that. Looks nice.
    Sorry to hear about your bumpy road dude, all the best for your plans.

User

Alright. So lots of work done on the rifle. For the first time I have a full reloading kit (albeit a very cheap and generic single-stage press that BARELY fits a .30-06 round), but it works.

I loaded a bunch of loads for the rifle, using the Federal Fusion bullets this time (decided to go heavy and hunting first). I loaded a bunch of loads between 51gr and 55gr of VV N550, and found a very nice group size at 54gr. So that's where I'm playing this week. I loaded those rounds as mentioned with 54gr of N550, with a 2mm jump in my rifle, for a COL of 85.35mm. I used CCI 200 primers and used cases I got (very generously) from a fellow forum member. I shot a 10.9mm group with that load this weekend, in wind, with a hot barrel.

So now I'm going to play in that range. Did some case prep today, will load sometime during the week and play around the .2 grain above and under that load. It's suddenly fun to do case prep when I know what I'm working on, and what the rifle can do with just a tiny bit of effort. Can't wait to let it draw it's first blood!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Alright. So lots of work done on the rifle. For the first time I have a full reloading kit (albeit a very cheap and generic single-stage press that BARELY fits a .30-06 round), but it works.

I loaded a bunch of loads for the rifle, using the Federal Fusion bullets this time (decided to go heavy and hunting first). I loaded a bunch of loads between 51gr and 55gr of VV N550, and found a very nice group size at 54gr. So that's where I'm playing this week. I loaded those rounds as mentioned with 54gr of N550, with a 2mm jump in my rifle, for a COL of 85.35mm. I used CCI 200 primers and used cases I got (very generously) from a fellow forum member. I shot a 10.9mm group with that load this weekend, in wind, with a hot barrel.

So now I'm going to play in that range. Did some case prep today, will load sometime during the week and play around the .2 grain above and under that load. It's suddenly fun to do case prep when I know what I'm working on, and what the rifle can do with just a tiny bit of effort. Can't wait to let it draw it's first blood!
    Remember to try COL length changes, I quiet like upping/lowering pressure a bit by COL manipulation instead of charge changes. I have always believed the final accuracy will be found in COL not silly charge increments.

User

Yeah I took a random, "safe" jump distance and marked the COL down to 85.35mm. I think I got lucky to hit a group under 1/2" this quickly with such a "let's see if it works" load, so I intend on working with the load a tiny bit, and then play with the jump. I currently seat the bullet 5mm closer to the lands than the equivalent factory load (Federal Fusion 180gr), and I can't fathom why Federal would load such a long jump. In my rifle, the jump is 7.4mm. This is a big, heavy bullet, and that's quite the jump. The factory loads don't group particularly well in my rifle either. They do about 1.2" at 100m. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13