Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: My budget hunting rifle build thread

I suppose any insulation would cause more heat build up - with its negatives.
    In a hunting scenario though how many shots more than one - two do you shoot ? - and if more how many times would that happen in ten years ?. In short - "no " not for you and me.

Pro side, scratches and dings are not a concern, firstly they do not occur, secondly they are just a cut and shrink repair away.
    When hunting every touch on barrel does not ring out.
    I like the added weight - not so much but there never the less .
    - ????? does seem to help with heat mirage - seems to occur later but then last longer.
    Just something we do - did it 15 yrs ago and never bothered wondering about it, works better than cammo glue on slip of fray and serves no purpose tape.

User

The wrapping of the silencer I want to do for two reasons: 1. I want it to match the look of the stock. 2. I am going to be trying my hand at medium range shooting with this rifle, even if it's not the best for it, and I want to eliminate heat mirage.

On the topic of the .30-06... Yes, I know, .30-06. The .308 that's not a .308 but costs as much as a .300 WM to load, comes in a long action which is terrible and it kicks like a mule. I know all this. I knew all this before I bought it. Hell, I chose to take it over the .270 I had the other option on. Any you know what...?

I don't care.

I wanted a hunting rifle, and that's it. If the rifle was for long range shooting, I would have leaned more to the .270's side, but it's not. It's going to be primarily a hunting rifle, and that's why I decided on the .30-06. Maybe I'm old style that way, but I do believe it's a great all rounder. In the future if I get a more suited rifle for long range shooting, I can easily cut down the barrel on this gun to, say, 18" or so, fit a fixed power scope and have one HELL of a bushveld hunter. For now though, it's what I decided on and I'm really happy with my choice. .30 bullets aren't really what I would call "scarce", and brass is cheap (sometimes even free). Every damn gunshop in the world has stock of ammo, so I'll never be in need there.

On the .303 - I've been looking for bolt heads, but I'm not too bothered right now. It's not an "often shoot" rifle. Hell, I think the most it worked in it's life was that day mentioned in the OP where I shot around 60 shots with it in the morning. I don't think it's shot 60 shots in the past 10 years :D But yeah, I'll probably take a look. On the other hand, just getting the headspace fixed by getting the chamber worked is also an option, and not too expensive.

I'll see. I'll see. For now, my licence is at CFR, and I have a sub-R7k hunting rifle I want to test out as soon as the licence arrives.

User

With the right scope and good ammo your 3006 will hit 1000m easy... It's a good caliber and let no-one else tell you so! If you need brass, shout, I have around 60 once fired S&B you're welcome to, and I'm down the N1 from you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    With the right scope and good ammo your 3006 will hit 1000m easy... It's a good caliber and let no-one else tell you so! If you need brass, shout, I have around 60 once fired S&B you're welcome to, and I'm down the N1 from you.
    yea 30 cal is good as any,, its the -06 part.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    yes - I shot 1000 m with a 30 06, certainly !
    the other rifle was a 243, with a 80 odd gr bullet, it was really nice - soft gentle and far off a "PLINK" comes back.

User

Rifles are like children.

Building/making a rifle is one thing, feeding it, another.

Every pack of bullets is basically R1000 bucks.
    The propellant these days, equally as much.
    The bullets alone in my reloading cupboard are worth more than any of my rifles, the same as the cost of animals we shoot with them.

So look at it this way, it’s like a wedding, you can do the expensive one, or the cheap one at the magistrate, it matters none, the real cost comes after that.

Cant you rather use a silicone based wrapping. It handles heat easily. I actually make Lead Ingots in Silicone molds.

Then some Material maybe Camo over it.

The material is to help reduce the heat mirage from Silencer so that you dont see it in Scope.

Banned

A good trigger is what ol Toxxyc needs to finish that build off, a good trigger goes about as far as a good scope when shooting.

A guy out our Club has started bringing in Jard Triggers.
    Which will be very well priced.

Banned

perhaps a link - price structure ? New thread ? Would like a trigger for .22 and 303 and 223

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast