Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Default Re: Boer War Firearms

Great find !!

What a gem - congratulations

User

Deep cleaning and complete striping

I have recently stripped what appeared to be a very clean ZAR martini and thought I would share some pics and advice. I am not a gunsmith but a hobbyist. I simply share what has worked for me and encourage any members to share any additional tips or to give me guidance should they have a better way of performing a particular task.

I have developed the very healthy habit of deep cleaning and doing a complete strip down of any "new" firearm. This is something which should be done with a lot of patience and very carefully.

Ensure that you have a decent set of screwdrivers, bits, punches etc etc to ensure the best fit to screws, pins etc etc.
    It is also important to use "packing" to protect your firearm. I use rubber strips, toweling etc etc when I need to hold the firearm down or put it in a vice.

It is also advisable to use a good buffer under the rifle if you need to apply any downward pressure.

One must be extremely careful not to strip screws or to damage any parts when stripping the firearm. A poorly fitting screwdriver bit or too much pressure can cause a bit to jump and leave a terrible scratch on the metal or woodwork.

Oiling difficult screws etc etc etc and leaving the firearm for a few days can make a big difference.

With really difficult screws, I have even resorted to using heat which is applied very slowly, while being careful not to damage the patina or wood.

When replacing chips of wood or repairing cracks ensure that the clamps etc are aligned 100%. I have even used electrical insulation tape to "hold" a repair in place (tape around the entire stock).

Excersize extreme caution when taking wooden parts off as these can split or chip very easily. This applies even more so to the plastic and wooden grips of the old revolvers.

I often soak actions and parts in paraffin for several days or even a week or two. I use 0000 grade steelwool to clean off surface rust and apply it very lightly. I then apply just enough pressure to get the job done. A good oil must be applied thereafter.

I have found some very light duty hobbyist brass brushes ( very soft brushes ). Only use 100% brass brushes and not brass coated steel brushes. The brass brushes I use are almost as soft as a hard paintbrush. Always a good idea to use them on a piececof old metal to see what they do before using them on your rifle.

I use the brushes on a drill with variable speeds and find that the soft brush gets into all the little nooks and crannies that are hard to clean.

I recently stripped a "clean" ZAR martini and found the internal workings to be in a bad way. The attached pics will give an idea of what I found as well as a few "after"
    pics. I do get great pleasure in stripping and cleaning these old gems.

There is also no shame in admitting defeat and sending your firearm to a gunsmith who has specialized skills and tools.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

Brass brushes

Thank you for the tips.

User

User

Fantastic read for a Sunday morning. Made me open the safe and check my inherited Lee Enfield for marking etc. Would love to know more about the weapon.

User

Hi Chris

Awesome, thank you.. Please post some pics of the rifle as well as markings. I'm sure I could help, if not we will ask Terry, the Lee Enfield Fundi

User

@ pegasusdion.

Even though I'm not a collector, I always find your posts interesting. Thanks.

User

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad that you are enjoying the thread.

My aim from the outset was to create an interest and awareness of Boer war firearms and SA heritage. It seems like there has been a lot of interest and it makes the thread worthwhile.

By creating this interest, I hope to encourage other potential firearm enthusiasts / collectors (especially the younger crowd) to pursue any related interests which they may have, as they will one day carry on the firearm culture / legacy.

Importantly, even if a person keeps or collects only one firearm, it adds to the national pool and is very welcome. The perception that a collector needs to be wealthy and have many firearms is just that, a perception.

Best wishes

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast