Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Easy boer coffee - family trick when camping

My father showed me how to make Ouma coffee when camping with instant coffee.
    They were hiking the B/kloof and had made coffee, some where between spooning coffee in cups and pouring water the spoon went AWOL. Uncle Cliff took a stick out fire and blew the ash off it and stirred with the stick- the others followed suite. It was noticed that it was a very nice coffee. Later when coffee was made again it was noted that the coffee was just OK, someone joked must be burning stick.
    I challenge every one reading this :::::::::::::::::::
    next braai make instant coffee - 2 cups one you stir with spoon one you stir with a glowing coal, before sugar milk - taste the differance.
    My theory is the stick burns some of the coffee and perhaps leach's off some
    You have a much stronger coffee --- it tradition with us,

Default Re: Easy boer coffee - family trick when camping

This sounds like a good idea this weekend. That's for the share Treeman I will certainly try it!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

User

What instant coffee did you use?

thx for sharing, will give it a go!

Banned

I can not recall what coffee Mom Dad used,Coffeehuis Ricoffe , it would have been cheap coffee. I use Nescafe' - I seem too think the cheap coffee graduated better >
    ____another super special treat for us as kids - after hiking all day and being deader than dead - my dad would produce a tin of peach's, pears what ever and a tin of condensed milk. The fruit and syrup juice would be shared out into bowls and the condensed milk poured over it, the treat of my child hood - spoiled it later by eating it too often and not when earned.
    ----my Father - Cliff - Malcom would drive up with the wives to far side of Transkei Cebe Lusikisiki - forget the names. The wives would drop the men off and the would walk for 4/5 days along coast WITH ONLY, what they could get in the pockets and jackets and a school rucksack. Dad said you could get Crayfish then daytime in rock pools and a big hook with a alikrical or perlie bait attached to foot or arm while you slept was a sure thing for breakfast.
    I recall watching him measure 5 spoons coffee 5 spoons sugar in a medicine bottle and salt pepper mix in a camera film container. and folding a sheet of thin plastic into a tiny square to sleep on. Clothing pegs sewn into outer of ruck sack to hang wet stuff on and a motor bike tube also folded tiny to float dry stuff across rivers.
    Men of men they were, the days when one bottle - a nip of Old Brown Sherry was enough for 3 men on a trip, a treat not a consume.
    Men of Men they were.

Never heard of this before, but definitely going to give it try!

Banned

I challenge every one reading this :::::::::::::::::::
    next braai make instant coffee - 2 cups one you stir with spoon one you stir with a glowing coal, before sugar milk - taste the differance.

As long as its not a Tambotie stick. :) good idea will try it soon. Thanks Mr T.

User

Been tradition in our family... kloof... and when cold no milk but double brandy ... manna as we would say

Banned

I just can not recall - coffee and sugar then stir with glowing stick or coffee stir with glowing stick then sugar in stir with cold stick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast