Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ideal factor for Champs?

Hi guys, how much leeway do you give yourself when checking if your ammo makes factor for the champs?

I don't know when they will be doing chrono for the Champs, but if it's early morning the temps should have a significant influence on velocities?

So what is ideal - 140 for ESP, SSP, SSR ?? 180 for CDP, ESR ??

Thanks

User

Default Re: Ideal factor for Champs?

KZ45,

Typically the chrono task is handed to an SO to perform during the two days of shooting. You normally hand in your rounds early on day 1 and then either 1) the Chrono-SO proceeds to do his job if he has access to a suitable gun or 2) the detail stops at the chrono station and the ammo is fired from your firearm (typicaly scenario). So your ammo will be fired at any time during the two days when your are up - difficult to predict thus. I normally ensure I have 5000+ safety margin irrespective - caters for powder through variances too.

B3

For example, I load 230gr for CDP. I need 717 fps to make factor of 165000. My test string average was 800 fps, with velocities recorded about 30fps either side of that.

You'll have to make a call on what margin you're happy with. For me 5000 is too small a margin, it means 20fps, which is too small to reliably control. My high and low variation per string is more than that.

User

I'm loading for SSP and have just tested my 147gr Bullets at 890fps which puts me at a factor of 130830. I need 850 with the 147's to factor :)
    I made sure to test this early in the cool morning in an indoor range which apparently makes a difference.

Speed

That sounds good, not too hot, but enough to see that you make it regardsless of other factors.

User

In development I went up one cavity in the Pro1000 and found that there were pressure signs and the velocities went up to 940fps!
    A little too hot and on the ragged edge if you ask me. What shocks more is that I'm managing this with a batch of S221, the dodgy HOT lot 213 that I have posted on in the reloading section!

User

Speed_Freak, the BEST investment you can ever make is to get yourself an adjustable charge bar. They are very accurate and allow you to load up and down in tiny increments - a much safer way to do things !!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Mike View Post
    Speed_Freak, the BEST investment you can ever make is to get yourself an adjustable charge bar. They are very accurate and allow you to load up and down in tiny increments - a much safer way to do things !!
    I have got one Alpha_Mike, I find they are a total pain in the @$$ to set up and when you do finally get them up and running, you need to make 100% sure that the chain to reset the powder measure is set very tight otherwise it doesn't fill the cavity in the micro adjuster :|

The charge bar is separate to the Lee Auto Disk powder measure. It has a micrometer-type adjuster.

The chain can be a problem, easily be avoided by changing the chain and lever to a spring return type. I've converted my newer Lee powder measures back to the spring return type.

The most convenient way to do this is to go to the Lee website, and order the specific parts you need.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...228.1518=90578

You need the spring and the F-Lever, $2.50 plus 35% shipping. Takes a week or two to get here.

My suggestion to all those who are still loading or still got to loading for champs (like me) is to ensure that you are about 5% above the required factor - about 130 000 for ESP/ SSP/ SSR and about 172 000 for CDP/ ESR.
    To aim (pun intended) for 125 100 is cutting it just too fine; although I have seen a guy shoot 1 round make factor, shoot another round - miss factor, and fire his third and final round, which made factor by 3 Ft/Sec?! This is dancing with the devil though!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast