Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hunting with a light bow

Hi all. I'm considering hunting with a 50 to 60lb bow.
    Looking at 2nd hand bows for sale online, the majority are rated at 70lb. Speaking to bow hunters, and watching YouTube videos, it seems that many users suffer from shoulder injury. This could be related to incorrect technique, muscle imbalances and overuse, and would be compounded by drawing a bow that is heavier than needed. I am trying to learn correct technique, however I don't want to use a bow that is heavier than necessary. I have old rotator cuff injuries that haven't really troubled me in 15 years and don't want to do cause any flare ups in that area.
    Am I wrong to look for a 60lb bow and adjust it down to 50lb? Will I be undergunned for antelope up to the size of Kudu and perhaps eland (at 60lb)?
    Does anyone else hunt with lighter bows? What's your experience, with regard to shooting distances and arrow penetration?

Default Re: Hunting with a light bow

Its incorrect Technique. You dont pull the bow with your shoulder at all. Thats wrong. You pull it with your back muscles.

I started off at home just going at it. Then went to Archery lesson. Was just a hour at Bellville Arhery in CPT. And then realized how much I did wrong.

If your looking for a very good Comp Bow. I have 2 i am planning to sell fully outfitted.
    For a steal price. Send me a PM if interested. Have to make more room. My hobby room is to packed I cant move.

User

Can be done. Look for a decent adjustable second hand compound. Some can be adjusted from 40 to 70lb. That way you can get correct form as you progress. Work on shot placement, a good idea is to attend SABA 3D shoots. Then get an arrow with a good cut on contact broadhead and reasonable arrow weight. Make sure they are tuned well and fly true, else this hampers penetration. Know your effective range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Can be done. Look for a decent adjustable second hand compound. Some can be adjusted from 40 to 70lb. That way you can get correct form as you progress. Work on shot placement, a good idea is to attend SABA 3D shoots. Then get an arrow with a good cut on contact broadhead and reasonable arrow weight. Make sure they are tuned well and fly true, else this hampers penetration. Know your effective range as well.
    Thanks Antlion. That is what I'm planning on doing. Then, upgrading in about a year or so.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Its incorrect Technique. You dont pull the bow with your shoulder at all. Thats wrong. You pull it with your back muscles.

I started off at home just going at it. Then went to Archery lesson. Was just a hour at Bellville Arhery in CPT. And then realized how much I did wrong.

If your looking for a very good Comp Bow. I have 2 i am planning to sell fully outfitted.
    For a steal price. Send me a PM if interested. Have to make more room. My hobby room is to packed I cant move.
    Thanks Shooty. What bows are they and what's the draw weight on them?

Zen. The bigger bow is a Hoyt. 70 to 80lbs. I can send you all the specs on it later.
    The other bow is Pink Camo. Gonna lie the max lb on it. But set lower as my Daughter shoots it.

Both are weight and Length of pull adjustable without a bow press.

Wasnt planning on selling. Until I saw your post. lol.

User

Why don't you visit a place like Blades & Trigger or some other good bow shop and ask if you can test fire some bows in various weights? They should be able to give you a great idea on how much you can handle. I haven't shot a lot of bows in my life, but the little bit of experience I did get taught me one thing - it's not your shoulders that hurt, it's your back (between your shoulder blades) and your bow-holding arm, on the inside, where the bowstring whips it if you're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Zen. The bigger bow is a Hoyt. 70 to 80lbs. I can send you all the specs on it later.
    The other bow is Pink Camo. Gonna lie the max lb on it. But set lower as my Daughter shoots it.

Both are weight and Length of pull adjustable without a bow press.

Wasnt planning on selling. Until I saw your post. lol.
    Thanks Shooty. I'd rather stay away from 70 to 80lb bows for now. I've found that with some bows I can draw 70lb without too much difficulty, while in others it's a struggle. So the draw weight curve really matters at these weights. I'd rather start at a weight that enables me to easily learn good form.
    Thanks, all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Why don't you visit a place like Blades & Trigger or some other good bow shop and ask if you can test fire some bows in various weights? They should be able to give you a great idea on how much you can handle. I haven't shot a lot of bows in my life, but the little bit of experience I did get taught me one thing - it's not your shoulders that hurt, it's your back (between your shoulder blades) and your bow-holding arm, on the inside, where the bowstring whips it if you're not careful.
    Thanks Toxxyc. I have tried that. My nearest supplier (150km) away only has ManKung. I'll be making a trip to JHB and Pretoria in the next 2 months, though and plan on checking out Blades & Triggers and Magnum Archery.

At the Archery fields the guys shoot with 35lbs revurve up to 90 to 100m.

So a person does not need alot of lb for range.

Only for hunting 35 will off course be a little low.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast