Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting with a light bow

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    My first bow was a 50-60lb PSE, I can't remember the model but it was SLOW. I shot around 480-500gr arrows (cant remember exactly) and had pass-throughs on most animals I shot with it.

A newer 60lb bow is way more effective than an 80lb bow from the 80's so buy a 60lb one with confidence.
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I recently tested a Bear Cruzer g2 and a Mathews Z7. The Bear is a newer bow and was easy to draw at a weight of 64lb. The Mathews was set at 61lb but was harder to draw. The Mathews shot a lot sweeter, though. 3 arrows in one hole. The bear cruzer was extremely light and was much harder to keep on target. I think that with a heavier stabilizer, I may have shot better with it.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Would you be able to tell me which 50lb to 60lb bows can shoot 450 grain arrows at 300fps?
    I do not have my finger on the pulse of the current harvest of bows... I think most medium-weights these days should easily achieve that...

I use a 2011 Hoyt TurboHawk, which does about 310fps with my arrows and 28.5"DL. I use various shafts and broad heads. Most of my current shafts are Easton PowerFlight, but I have some Excel and Bloodline too. they are all in the 9-10gr/inch weight range for the 340 spines. I prefer 125 gr G5 Montec broadheads... I subscribe to the theory that 'enigiets met n skroefie is poefie'... I do not like mechanicals at all.

User

Very interesting stuff... I'm slowly getting into the bow game (recurve), and this Impala "string jumping" business is disconcerting. Can someone elaborate? How can you mitigate this? Recurve hunting arrows rarely do more than 180 fps, so that's allready far down on compounds. Frustrating how difficult it is to get proper info on recurve bowhunting in Africa.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    That is really is good information. Thank you.
    Would you be able to tell me which 50lb to 60lb bows can shoot 450 grain arrows at 300fps?

Forget about speed and worry about shot placement and correctly spined arrows. Thinking that a fast arrow will save you from a string jumper is foolish. I’ve shot plenty warthog with a longbow that throws a 700gr arrow out at under 200fps. Successfully.

A light, fast arrow will kill antelope and warthog etc just as well as a slow and heavy arrow BUT in my experience, where there is heavy bone involved, you have a better chance of finding the animal when shot with the slower, heavier arrow.

User

I have shot impala with my bow, and as Bowhunter says, it can be done with much slower bows. I 100% agree that shot placement is CRITICAL.

The interesting this, is that different animals behave differently when the 'string jump'... string jumping refers to the animal reacting instinctively to either visually seeing the arrow, or hearing the twang of the bow string. from slow-mo videos I have seen, warthog tends to dip down first, then start running, and impala tend to 'jump' either left or right most of the time. Things that helped me was to quiet down my bow using whiskers on the bowstring, and a string stop. I have also preferred to shoot quartering away from me rather than quartering to, and keep my shot as short as possible...

User

Archers Edge had a nice DVD set , on hunting game, I think it was called Impact. They show how quick an impala reacts to even fast bows, when they are alert and skittish. The calm animals only moved after the arrow hit them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Archers Edge had a nice DVD set , on hunting game, I think it was called Impact. They show how quick an impala reacts to even fast bows, when they are alert and skittish. The calm animals only moved after the arrow hit them.
    And we have a winner.

User

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    I do not have my finger on the pulse of the current harvest of bows... I think most medium-weights these days should easily achieve that...

I use a 2011 Hoyt TurboHawk, which does about 310fps with my arrows and 28.5"DL. I use various shafts and broad heads. Most of my current shafts are Easton PowerFlight, but I have some Excel and Bloodline too. they are all in the 9-10gr/inch weight range for the 340 spines. I prefer 125 gr G5 Montec broadheads... I subscribe to the theory that 'enigiets met n skroefie is poefie'... I do not like mechanicals at all.
    Same here, I shot a small diameter 4 blade Slicktrick from my compound and a GK Silverflame 2 blader from my longbow. I saw too many animals lost with mechanical. Yes they work for some guys, I saw the worst of them (broadheads not bowhunters).

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Forget about speed and worry about shot placement and correctly spined arrows. Thinking that a fast arrow will save you from a string jumper is foolish. I’ve shot plenty warthog with a longbow that throws a 700gr arrow out at under 200fps. Successfully.

A light, fast arrow will kill antelope and warthog etc just as well as a slow and heavy arrow BUT in my experience, where there is heavy bone involved, you have a better chance of finding the animal when shot with the slower, heavier arrow.
    Thanks for the advice, and the informative read Bowhunter. I wasn't really interested in a light fast arrow, however. I'm more interested in pushing heavier arrows faster. I guess that isn't so necessary either.

I've been reading up on arrow spines. A 340 spine Easton Axis comes in at about 9.5gpi. At 26.5 inches, with nock, standard insert and a 100gr point it gives me an arrow of 385gr.
    How do I make this arrow heavier?
    Should I simply use a heavier insert and point, an arrow tube or make the arrow longer?

With a 75gr insert and 125gr point my arrow weight will be 485gr. This will increase FOC weight. In a 26,5 inch arrow, will this be harder to stablise and negatively affect trajectory?

Should I look at stiffer spines, like 250? Will these work in a 60lb or 50lb bow?

Thanks again for the all the information.

User

there are various ways. I prefer to go for a heavier BH, hence I shoot 125gr 2 or 3 blades. If you need more, go with a heavier insert. There are also some BH that are heavier, but most common is 100 and 125gr. I have a set of 150gr Schmeiser Viking 2 blade BH that work well. However, be aware that large 2 blades has been known to affect flight, by acting like a wing almost, and steering the arrow.

No, a tube does not make it longer. it is a thin plastic tube that is inserted into the shaft. it is kept in place with your front insert, and the nock. I have also read that some use the silicone hose sold at pet shops for aquariums, if the shaft you choose is thick enough...

What is your draw length? 26.5" arrow are short... At 30.5", my arrows are about 2" longer than my DL of 28.5". you can go even longer, but arrow length and draw weight and BH weight all affect what spine shafts you need.

250 spine is quite stiff, and more suited to higher powered bows with long DL. there are various arrow spine calculator online. have a look here https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Calculators.aspx

But none of this is cast in stone, it is just a good starting point. and many people have found that go to a stiffer spine or a looser spine does improve their shooting.

For a 50-60lb bow at 26.5" a 400-500 spine will work for most BH weights...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast