Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Shooting while pregnant?

Hi, so I need to know if its safe for the unborn baby to go with shooting (obviously it cant be left behind)

Could there be any potential risk/hazard to the baby’s ears?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Re: Shooting while pregnant?

General advice: Don't do it. Sound waves travel way better through fluids than through air. Or shoot a .22 suppressed.There has been threads on this, roughly 2013 and again 2014/15. Some thorough research was done on the impact of sound waves on hearing in airport personnel, and they basically all had hearing damage. The only thing which could prove this wrong is if the transfer from air to fluid makes a big difference. I don't know how the shock waves affect the unborn.

Banned

We do not know if it can do harm, but we pretty certain its not beneficial. As a relatively new parent, I will tell one thing for certain - you will never forgive yourself if your child has any problems and you had gone shooting after posting a question like this.
    It concerns you - it means you have reason to question or believe it may be harm full - if your child has any issues, you will always ask "what if ?'.
    I have two friends there son is sever ADHD, they both followed the Woodstock life style of piece and a bit of weed to mellow the day. Some "E" on special occasions and perhaps a line, all strictly controlled. When she wanted to be pregnant she stopped cold, he just cut back a lot. They divorced now, he is busy loosing a family empire and lives with dancers strippers that he works through, she does not drink go out smoke or anything, she lives a life of trying to make it up to her child thats not ?? - well ja you know what I mean. He is trying to kill himself in booze and woman - she is killing herself saying sorry.
    Just leave it - one less fear- one less thing to question, its only a few months.
    I say again - if the thought came up and ........................

User

It's a big, BIG no-no, if you care for your unborn child. I also asked the question just more than a year ago and plenty of research mentioned that babies in the womb hear just as well and just as clearly if we speak to them from the outside. Imagine a gunshot.

User

How to bear a shell-shocked child? No thanks.

User

Thanks guys, I guess dry fire practice will be the best solution...

User

It depends on how far along you are in the pregnancy. Hearing begins as about 18 weeks. Before that you are fine. After 24 weeks absolutely not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    It depends on how far along you are in the pregnancy. Hearing begins as about 18 weeks. Before that you are fine. After 24 weeks absolutely not.
    How about the shock waves created by the blast -do they penetrate the into the fluid environment of the child?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    We would rather not risk it, she did not own a gun with the previous pregnancy and she has not shot in about 2 months so I guess dry firing would be better and Im considering loading normal 147 Gr Win T's instead of the +P+ 127 Gr, because I feel you need more practice with the +P+ ammo to effectively use them.... (ill do the function testing of the 147s)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    How about the shock waves created by the blast -do they penetrate the into the fluid environment of the child?
    This depends on the firearm used. Handguns, like 9mm, has relatively low blast and thus does not transmit much shock. Also, the blast is mostly directed forward and away from the shooter.
    A .338 with a muzzle break is a different story.

Much of the blast is attenuated before it gets to the fluid due to the transmission via air. At least under normal circumstances.

One thing I must clarify, I base all this on the assumption that the OP is referring on basic handgun practice when going shooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast