Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Which scope reticle for hunting?

Which reticle works best for general everyday hunting out to 300m? Not varmintig and similar specialized applications, just good old biltong hunting. This would obviously include practice and load development. A thin crosshair is sometimes hard to see - this happened to me.A thick crosshair obscures the target at times.Etc etc. The reticle which would draw my attention would be a modification of the German #1. I like this because the precise target area is open. If one could find one with a narrower and slightly lower centre post I would probably be as happy as can be.Please share your experience and views!

User

Default Re: Which scope reticle for hunting?

Just a standard Plex reticle

User

Ds J...As Pirate says...a standard duplex reticle is what you need for hunting.
    You have a wide variety of scopes to choose from with an inner crosshair neither too thick or too thin.
    3-9 magnification and you are good to go. Avoid all the 'chrismass tree' busy reticles...keep it simple.
    The German post or tapered post and such variants are made for conditions not often experienced in South Africa.

User

Out to 300m a duplex reticle works well. The tip of the bottom post give you an additional aiming point, without making the reticle busy.

Banned

Plex - Duplex, nice simple and has all you going to need for hunting - all those thingee mebob stuff is for target and target type hunting.
    The German reticle is (in my opinion) more for point and shoot at closer ranges in crowded site picture and possibly low light shadows situations - forest brush plantations.

Ds J
    I like the Leupold boone and crockett reticle for general plains hunting.
    I like the fact that it is not to busy , just gives you everything you need for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    Ds J
    I like the Leupold boone and crockett reticle for general plains hunting.
    I like the fact that it is not to busy , just gives you everything you need for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then you'll like the Lynx SA Hunter reticle

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

German #4 is what I have been using for many years.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I think about only myself will agree to my own opinion Bwa ha ha. But I just love my Nato reticles. Nice thin cross and there is no other markings or "bullets" or "dots" close to the reticle center. The two sides and bottom that gets thicker far out is fine for me for low light conditions as the center can still be seen. The "busy" part of your view is right at the bottom and there it is not bothering me. I dislike reticles where it gets confusing to figure out the centre and I also dislike standard duplex, so the Nato does it for me.

User

I find that when I do not think about it, my eye finds the center of the reticle automatically, even if it is a very busy reticle. However, I use scopes in the field on a daily basis. I have found that when a less experienced client use one of my rifles, they adapt to the duplex reticle much easier than to a more complex reticle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast