Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which scope reticle for hunting?

My favorite : Leupold scope with fine duplex reticle , simple and effective!

I've also found the fine duplex to be a bit harder to see in the evenings. Thick lines obscure smaller targets at greater distances.
    When working across varying distances, I like the versatility and ease of use of mildot or moa reticles. There isn't always time to pop off the turret caps and make adjustments. With a mildot scope this is just a matter of settling the correct dot on your target or centring your target between 2 dots. With a duplex reticle, there's a bit more estimation required. Fine crosshairs and small dots work best for me. I've never had an issue finding the centre.

If you decide to go with a mildot or moa scope, just remember make sure the turret adjustment are in the same configuration as the reticle.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

User

I find that a simple duplex type recticle is great for normal hunting out to 200m with minimal "hold" on most calibers and loads. It also allows you to hold high for ranges past 200 and compensate for crosswinds. Out to 300m for general hunting, it is still hard to beat. The simplicity of the design makes is very easy to use in a hurry. Depending on the thickness of the recticle, it can be quite usefull in poor light too.

The German style no. 1 and no. 4 recticles are great for fast shots and poor light. Their only disadvantage is when trying to hold over, due to the thick vertical post obscuring the target, so their max effective range is not much beyond your zero distance.

Banned

I once saw a picture of a reticle with four cross hairs: one each at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00. The trick was that these crosshairs didn't cross- they extended roughly halfway into the sight picture and left the centre of the sight picture open. It would take some time getting used to, but for some reason this reticle spoke to me more than any type I have seen or used.

User

@Ds J if you liked that reticle you described, you might want to look at a horseshoe reticle as well. Trijicon and Sig both makes nice ones. If you can find them, Primary Arms are also neat. I have a Burris Ballistic Plex reticle and I love it. No hassles to see stuff, and it looks a lot like that Boone & Crockett reticle from Leupopld.

User

Dominee, you don't need a funny reticle for hunting. You need a regular reticle, possibly with hash marks on the bottom post for distance. Personally, my 30-06 has a Leupold wide duplex reticle with which I have taken shots out to 220m. Know your trajectory and learn to judge distance and hold over.

I have never had time to to look for a hash mark on a reticle while hunting, there generally isn't time before the animal runs off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Dominee, you don't need a funny reticle for hunting. You need a regular reticle, possibly with hash marks on the bottom post for distance. Personally, my 30-06 has a Leupold wide duplex reticle with which I have taken shots out to 220m. Know your trajectory and learn to judge distance and hold over.I have never had time to to look for a hash mark on a reticle while hunting, there generally isn't time before the animal runs off.
    Maybe I should let these interesting questions be and spend some more time reloading and practising with what I have. Some of the best shots I ever had in the field were the instinctive or fast shots where there was no time to worry about trajectory and reticle and other thingamajigs. What I do know is that something about the duplex reticle does bother me. And judging distance needs attention as well. Ten meters too short or too far is ok, but 20-30m off can be the difference between wounded or dead.

User

DsJ have a look at Lynx SA Hunter reticle .

https://www.lynx.co.za/catalog/rifle...-15x50-hunter/

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

For long range hunting, talking 200-500m the SA Hunter and Vortex Dead Hold seems to be well suited.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Out to 300m a duplex reticle works well. The tip of the bottom post give you an additional aiming point, without making the reticle busy.
    Yip, I do the same as I have a duplex on my .308 and at an almost 7X magnification aiming at the top of the "post" gets me bang on at 300m with my current load. From there I either take the shot at 7X or see the desired impact point and then dial up and aim for same point if time permits. It was the only option I had when I first did the SA Hunters exercises, but it proved "effective".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast