Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: SAPS ballistic testing damage

Quote Originally Posted by La Morte View Post
    When I read this post I just once again confirmed that I am doing the best thing to leave this rock called Africa.
    I have never felt more unwelcome in this country as in the last few years!
    Ja Morte there are many reasons to leave and many to stay.
    I do not think this is the norm though but you have to be a humble man if you want to survive this kind of nonsense.
    I think my posts are getting close on fear mongering even if factual. Please discuss my original Q if anyone has ideas.

User

If anyone would like to add more info please do.
    I'd like to know which parts are not licensed yet controlled and how these parts need to be handled when stored, transported and sold- items like bolts or any part that usually has a serial number but in certain cases doesn't like some barrels, frames etc.

When I did competency training, I thought that all essential components of a firearm, including the bolt, were considered as part of the same firearm, and had to be numbered?

Also, I suspect that the bolt is required for ballistic testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The 271 form that is filled in to license a firearm has three options to fill in- barrel, frame and receiver- so in CFR's case we can at most be licensed for three parts but I read that there is also controlled parts which I know nothing about and would like to know more.

You are right about ballistic testing, a bolt would be needed.

User

Meteor,

Sec 94 reads:

"Prohibition of possession of firearm parts.-(1)For purposes of this section 'firearm part' means a slide, bolt or breech-block of a firearm.

(2) No person may possess any firearm part unless he or she-
    (a) holds a licence in respect of a firearm capable of bearing that firearm part;
    (b) ..dealer... manufacturer...gunsmith...
    (c)...
    These parts do not need serial numbers and you can have as many as you want providing they fit your licenced firearm.

Sec 23(2) "The identification number [serial number] must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel and frame, or the barrel and receiver , of the firearm."

NB that means only two (2) serial number have to appear, not three(3), NOTE THE "OR".
    Serial numbers only have to appear on those two(2) parts, i.e. the barrel and either the frame OR the receiver, nowhere else.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrage View Post
    Meteor,

Sec 94 reads:

Sec 23(2) "The identification number [serial number] must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel and frame, or the barrel and receiver , of the firearm."

NB that means only two (2) serial number have to appear, not three(3), NOTE THE "OR".
    Serial numbers only have to appear on those two(2) parts, i.e. the barrel and either the frame OR the receiver, nowhere else. Rod
    However, in practice the SAPS have had to live with the fact that firearms made elsewhere in the world now or over the last 150 years or so do not always conform to this.

Peter

User

Thank you very much especially to you Rodrage. To be honest I did not think to look in the FCA for words like bolt or slide and I apologize for that.

User

Going on what the law says I will be in possession of parts I do not have firearms for if my firearms are seized again, so I will have to hand over my bolts, firing pins and slides.
    This is very sad news for me. I do not use my firearms without cleaning them back to front with a toothbrush, I do not allow other people to handle them as they like and I know every bump and scratch on every gun I have, they are cleaned with 3 types of oil etc. etc. etc. and sometimes I like to store them with a bit more oil in the barrel than needed. It is very depressing having to think that my property and probably most loved possessions have to be damaged every time some racist $#$#@ decides he wants some fun.

User

Meteor,
    Just because they seize the firearm from you does not mean that your licence suddenly becomes invalid!
    Its only after you have been declared unfit or deemed unfit (after a court case is done and you get convicted of an offence) that your licence is cancelled. The only reason to seize your firearm/s is to do ballistic testing for the purposes of a possible impending court case. (or with a court order in Domestic Violence and maybe Harassment cases)
    To do that there must be reasonable grounds for believing the firearm/s may provide evidence of an offence. ( or is used in D/V)
    S114(2) reads "The person who has control over the firearm...seized in terms of this section must immediately return it...when it is clear that it will not be of value as evidence".
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2