Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: 10.75 X 68 Mauser jag geweer

Gert, what is the value of such a rifle?

User

Treeman, the 10.75 x 68 Mauser like the Obendorf Mauser is still a sought after rifle for collectors if it has not being changed in any way and if it is a Model A Mauser..this rifle in the thread is not such a collector`s item when comparing it to collectors values..R16 000 to R25 000 would be the going rate for the Fabrique Nationale brand manufacturer. It is a second hand item/rifle as well ..my point of view on a second hand rifle is the price is determined only by how much the buyer is prepared to pay for the rifle to own it...only a new rifle has a fixed price on it...With today`s premium bullets this caliber is a great plains game /bushveld game hunting rifle ..I would not use it on dangerous game ..for that you use it`s big brother the 404 Jeffery /10.75 X 73 mm caliber ...

Banned

Thank you Gert, I get offered many rifles and "don't you know some one who wants a xyz ?"
    I have been rather ashamed of how far out my guess's were on occasion.

I was once offered this caliber in a drilling with some smaller caliber or shotgun below, thought it was junk.

User

Treeman, everything about a rifle or specific caliber you are thinking to buy depends according to my own point of view, do you really use this rifle to shoot/hunt /practice your shooting skills with ..or is it only a "nice to have " rifle..I really try to keep focused on "like to have old rifles , use to hunt with every one or try at least to shoot them frequently....not always happens that way but I am a member of a shooting club and are then "forced" to shoot frequently to keep my Hunting/dedicated shooting status alive....
    I am sure I will get to ta point where I will not be shooting all my rifles frequently anymore..but then it needs to be changing hands and owner ship to my son Ruan ...he already set store on his 8x57 JS Mauser , his rifle he used to hunt his first game...so there is already one less rifle I own....he also declared he will take ownership of my 404 Jeffery and the Jeffery rifle will be passed on to his children in the future ..another one taken care of....So the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer will be given to a Mannlicher Schoenauer collector since it is a large caliber rifle and I will not be hunting a buffalo or elephant ever...but I will keep it as long as I can use it every year to hunt plains/bushveld game for venison....

The Martini Henry .577/450 and Mauser 1871 with all my black powder rifes will go to any member of our Black Powder hunting 1885 era group..these rifles will be given to the young hunters of the group who do not have their own rifles..

You never own a rifle, only take care of it..until it is transfer to another rifle enthusiast ....but I am positive there are still a few years left to fully enjoy my rifles before they go to their new owners... I will not sell my rifles , just give it to a person who really will want it and will use and care for it..

Ah! Gert I agree with your sentiments. The things we value are just "stuff" to other people. Sad to say but my son has no interest in rifles or hand guns. I bought him a (then) new CZ 75, After shooting it a few times he sold it. I gave him my first hunting rifle, a well looked after Musgrave. After 2 years he told he was going to sell it. I was quite upset but the truth was that he did did not share my passion for firearms. So, to each his own.
    So, you could give your firearms to a person who appreciates it. The question is will his children be as interested in the weapons as you are ? Or will it be just "stuff" with little value.

User

Knipmes, the scenario you went through in regards to your son selling rifles you gave him is the reason I vowed never to force my personality/love for rifles/hobbies /sporting events like spearfishing onto my daughter or son. They have their own ideas about life..I did brought them up as best as I could...now that they are out of my house I do not have a say in their lives anymore, I do not have any intention to tell them how to live their life ....

My son Ruan is studying at Potch University...the only say I have is about the money I pay for him to study..if he does not perform well and fails studies I will not pay anymore for his studies..so he makes a choice to study and take the responsibility onto himself to perform well or stop studying...

I like to point out the value of the Mauser Obendorf 10.75 x 68 Type A can be as high as R68000 ..if it is in a excellent condition...These rifles are collector`s items and are usually not use for shooting/hunting ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2