Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Who uses Impala horn for knife hand;es

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Are these handles durable ?
    yeah, these have been sitting for a couple of years so are weathered.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Thanks

User

A few more on the bench. The impala horn has given me a bit of difficulty trying to work out the best way to use it but bit the bullet on the horns today and made a start. cut what I expected to be able to use from the trophy horns a friend sent but had to get one handle from a spare horn that came with them so they were all of a similar size and shape. Because the horn has a gold tone to the base I decided to use a piece of NZ Rimu on the front of the handle to simulate this with a piece of ebony for the pomel cap. I will use pieces of wood to fill much of the void with epoxy to hold it all in place and pin the tang but this is going to be a slower build than usual. It is for the sons of a very good friend and has been on the books for quite a while as we waited for the horn to arrive with the recent giraffe bone shipment.
    Once cut to length I heated the horn in boiling water till it softened and clamped the ends flat against pegs I shaped for the purpose.

All set now for some fitting of the various parts to eventually have something that resembles a knife for these special young men.

So from the three impala horn Light hunters there is a new skinner for me (I gave the last ones away) with copper and giraffe bone, a skinner with acacia for the farmer where I get my lambs, G/bone Safari knife, Hunter skinner with buffalo horn and a damascus hunter skinner with buff horn and macrocarpa.

User

I changed horses with these horn handles as I wasn't happy with the resulting piece when sort of flattened and filled with epoxy/canvas ayered in like unpressed micarta so today I made a start on the using a length of horn instead. This meant it needed some way of filling the gap in the hollow so the first step was to boil soften and clamp the ends to some shaped plugs to get the slightly flatter section rather than round.

I decided to use a NZ Rimu for the front plug bolster and I will use ebony for the pommel plug.

Fitting the plug reminded me a lot of the similar process when fitting the butt socket for the Magazine Lee Enfirld when making the Lee Speed type stocks.

User

Finally finished the impala horn handled knives and quite pleased with the result. I used rimu as the bolster with a piece of black G10 facing and ebony for the pommel.

The ebony pommel was treated like the bolster end and socketed into the horn end with the threaded rod drilled into the ebony to create another gripping surface for the epoxy.

I added black dye to the epoxy and waited for everything to set up overnight

This gave me the basis for the handle so a shaping session was next.
    And with a fine sand and buffed it was time to add the finish to the resulting handle.

Looking from underneath or the blade edge side. These are for the (right handed) sons of my agent in the US.

and from the top or spine side. I was carefull to cut the horn so that the ridges were in the right places for finger placement to suit the right handed users.

Banned

Very nice.
    Unusual

User

Please assist. Love the idea of flattening the ends then plugging them. However how did you ensure the hidden tang is secure without using a screwd end or peened fixture on the. Back of the knife.

Would you see this method been made with a guard or bolster to protect finger as there is no definate curving for the latter.

Definately something i will try. Have blesbuck black wildebeest and impala to use

Awsomme finished knife.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Those are beautiful knives Jacques!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2