Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Francolin and Guinea Recipes

Guineas can actually be really GOOD. Skin and throw away the skin. Joint the bird and simmer it, covered, in chicken stock and a sliced onion for a while - a little white wine is nice. The meat loses that ghastly purple colour and once white treat as chicken. I've done a couple of awesome potjies too - again skin and throw away, then just do a nice slow potjie.

User

Here's what I use. Works for guineas & francolin:

Recipe 1:

Guineafowl in wine and Marsala Sauce

(Adapted from a recipe by Wickedfood Cooking School www.wickedfood.co.za)

INGREDIENTS

• 3 guineafowl, cut into portions
    • Flour, seasoned with salt & pepper to taste. Recently I have been adding a bit of smoked paprika too - my new wonder spice for everything
    • Butter
    • 2 onions, peeled & chopped or sliced
    • 1/2 cup Marsala wine , or substitute with Port, Sherry, Muscadel or similar
    • Approx 500ml red or white wine (I normally use Pick ‘n Pay Late Harvest that comes in a 500ml carton)
    • 1 cube chicken stock dissolved in 1 cup hot water
    • 2 heaped teaspoons crushed garlic
    • Teaspoon mixed herbs
    • Bay leaf
    • 1 punnet mushrooms, sliced if large, left whole if small (I normally use the 400g punnet of “mixed mushroom pieces” ie offcuts from Denny or Woolworths)

METHOD

1. Dip guineafowl portions seasoned flour. Heat butter in cast iron pot and brown a few pieces at a time of guineafowl over LOW heat (low heat seems to make it much more tender than smokin' hot).
    2. Remove guineafowl then add onions to pot with more butter if necessary and cook until glazed.
    3. Add wine, chicken stock, Marsala, garlic, bay leaf and mixed herbs. Bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
    4. Put guineafowl back into mixture in cast iron pot. Place in oven at 125°C with cover on for 2 - 3 hours.
    5. Fry the mushrooms with butter in a separate pan for 5 minutes then add to pot. Cook for another hour
    6. Remove from oven and place pot back on stove over medium heat to boil off liquid if necessary.
    7. Serve with parsley potatoes and vegetables in season. Also works fine with rice or pasta. Garnish with parsley or rosemary. My wife likes serving it with Creme Fraisch (which is a cultured/soured cream available from Woollies and probably other places too)

Serves 6

Recipe 2:

Sometimes I cut out the breasts, flavour them with salt & pepper & fry in a bit of butter. Brilliant lunchtime meal with salad. It helps a lot if you get breasts that don't have pellets in them. Guineafowl salad is WAY better than chicken salad in my opinion.

User

After a wonderful day's wingshooting on Saturday I knew I would be having Swainsons Spurfowl for dinner one night this week. That night is tonight and I've asked my wife to make a game-bird curry with potatoes and carrots. However, it was a close call between the curry and sherried gamebirds and I thought I'd share the Sherried Gamebirds recipe that has always turned out great when we have made it.

Just like furred game, you must handle the birds properly in order to get good quality meat. Here are some suggestions:

1. Don't be too hasty on the shot. The closer the bird is to you when you shoot it the more damage/pellets/feathers there will be in the carcass. I use a 12ga with 5/6/7 shot. I would say that the bird should not be closer than about 15m when you take the first shot. Birds that take the full charge of a 12ga at less than 15m are likely to be inedible. The size of pellets, the choke and the calibre all play a roll. You may be able to take shots a little closer with a 16ga, 20ga, 410ga etc without spoiling the carcass.

2. I gut the birds in the field immediately after I recover them, or as soon as possible after recovery. The pellets sometimes rupture the intestines and I certainly don't like the idea - or the smell - of the birds marinating in their intestinal juices all day. Gutting the birds immediately also helps to cool the carcass quickly. I do not subscribe to gutting all the birds at the end of the day. I keep the stomach, liver and heart as they are very tasty as a dish on their own or when added to whatever dish you make with the gamebirds. After removing all the insides I just stuff the giblets back into the cavity and remove them all again when I get back home.

3. When I get home, I remove the crops. I am normally tired and so I don't pluck/skin the birds on the day that I shoot them. I hang the birds from their necks or just place them on some newspaper on the cold garage floor until the next day. Our spurfowl/francolin/guineas are normally shot in the cold winter months and I have never had any birds go bad overnight. I pluck/skin them the next day.

4. If I have time on my hands I will pluck the francolin/spurfowl. The skin does carry a little bit of fat, it looks appetizing and it may help a little with succulence. Otherwise I just skin them. Guineas I always skin. Their skin is an unappetizing greyish purple colour which I don't like at all.

5. After plucking, I remove the feet, head and pope's nose. I remove any feathers and pellets that may be visible in the meat. I rub the inside of the abdominal cavity to loosen and then wash out the lungs and any dried blood. I let the birds dry on a rack and then package them.

SHERRIED FRANCOLIN/SPURFOWL

3-4 francolin/spurfowl
    5-6 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    5 cloves of garlic (crushed)
    2 onions (finely diced)
    2 stalks celery (chopped)
    salt & black pepper to taste
    1 cup old brown sherry
    Flour

- Quarter the birds and dust in a little flour
    - Fry the onions in butter and olive oil until soft
    - Add the garlic and the birds and fry until birds are golden brown
    - Transfer to a casserole, adding the sherry, seasoning and celery
    - Deglaze the pan with a little sherry and add to the casserole
    - Cover and cook in a medium oven for +- 3 hours or until tender
    - Add more sherry if necessary

If you like, you can drape a rasher of streaky bacon over each bird quarter once transferred to the casserole.

Enjoy and please let me know how it turned out if you make it.

User

I've been threatening to take an air rifle to the pesky flocks of guineafouls we have here and then attempt a classic coq au vin -- but so far I havn't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    I've been threatening to take an air rifle to the pesky flocks of guineafouls we have here and then attempt a classic coq au vin -- but so far I havn't tried it.
    Air rifle, so head shots? Or do you have one of those overpowered beasts I hear so much about that cost more than my Howa?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Air rifle, so head shots? Or do you have one of those overpowered beasts I hear so much about that cost more than my Howa?
    Unless your air rifle is serious big and expensive, a air rifle is really not a Guinea fowl weapon, a .22 often fails to do the shot.
    Head shots? Here we go again, over estimated abilities and all.
    May I ask what makes them pesky?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Unless your air rifle is serious big and expensive, a air rifle is really not a Guinea fowl weapon, a .22 often fails to do the shot.
    Head shots? Here we go again, over estimated abilities and all.
    May I ask what makes them pesky?
    You're asking the wrong guy! If anything I hunt them with an Excalibur crossbow (yes, it covers more than enough distance) or shotgun, I wouldn't use an air rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    You're asking the wrong guy! If anything I hunt them with an Excalibur crossbow (yes, it covers more than enough distance) or shotgun, I wouldn't use an air rifle.
    Cross Bow definitely, unless the air rifle is is really not a 'pellet gun" it will not do job often, even that BSA or Dianna 50, not up too it.

User

Thanks for all the recipes and advice. Now I have to try it.

Regarding airrifles and shooting guineas, it can be done. As will all hunting, shot placement is key and one should avoid shooting through the wings and breast bone as this makes for good armour. The junction between the neck and shoulders is a good place to aim. The head is small and difficult to hit because it is constantly moving. Heres a video of Mr Dubber shooting some.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Please don't shoot Guinea's with air rifles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast