Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Must have’s

Default Re: Must have’s

This is obviously a forum to ask questions, but I would suggest you find a reputable gunshop in your area.
    One that doesnt just sell you stuff to make a quick sale or because they have plenty of stock of some item or because it's the most expensive item and trying to push it on to you.

Build up a relationship with them. Support them.

Default Must have’s

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Adopting the buy once cry once approach IMO to save money in the long run is optimal, many of the below suggestions will incorporate it!
    - Good spare magazine holster, on that note try avoid j-clips and use c-clips and soft loops (with or without struts) as they're more secure!
    - A belt but IMO one that uses the ratcheting system e.g. Kore (sold by Hailstorm) is a good option due to the incremental adjustments that can be made vs traditional belts!
    - Ear muffs e.g. Howard Leights (with gel cups for added comfort), Razor Walkers or Peltors, MSA Sordins if the budget allows, there is nothing wrong with the first 2 brands mentioned from my research.
    - quality eye protection, look if it complies with the ANSI Z87.1 and MIL PRF-31013 standard.
    - WML such as the O Light PL Mini 2 (used by the majority of people in SA), the reason I say this is that if you choose this down the line you will have to replace your holster, hence save money now and purchase a WML off the bat. This can't replace a handheld torch!
    - a good handheld torch with sufficient lumens, not one sold by Makro, Cape Union Mart etc.
    - OC (pepper spray) direct stream e.g. Foxx Labs or Sabre Red (Sabre is more widely available in SA)
    - a fixed blade knife for purely defensive purposes (this requires consideration into the blade design as well as training to use it effectively). I'm not into knife fighting at all, but go search the 21 foot rule when attempting to draw on an attacker and you'll see the benefit of having one plus other reasons.
    - a folding knife for miscellaneous tasks to avoid using your defensive blade
    - a tourniquet to be carried on you (either a genuine CAT or a SOFT T wide, preferably the latest gen) coupled with a Stop The Bleed course to have the knowledge to apply it as well as the other life saving tools that the course teaches you, with time you can build an IFAK
    - go to Paratus.info and read the myriad of pertinent topics on EDC in a SA context which can help with mindset and the above mentioned items

once you receive your licence:
    -quality JHP EDC ammunition, Winchester Ranger T's are the most widely used in SA due to cost, availbility and overall QC.
    - most importantly go seek accredited trainers out to improve your skills and then use your ammo to practice these skills, instead of going to the range of and doing tacti-cool stuff and mag dumps! You can start the search now though.
    Thank you. This is a wealth of information.
    Where can I source these headsets from? I’m in Jhb south but online will also do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: added the last question

User

Hailstorm for the belt and ear protection
    Meddev for the tourniquet
    Echodeltacharlie knives for the Cohort ambidextrous fixed blade
    TorchSA for the EDC light or WML

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    This is obviously a forum to ask questions, but I would suggest you find a reputable gunshop in your area.
    One that doesnt just sell you stuff to make a quick sale or because they have plenty of stock of some item or because it's the most expensive item and trying to push it on to you.

Build up a relationship with them. Support them.
    This is crucial.

I have one gunshop (Sable Arms) where I do the hunting stuff and advice. For the sport shooting and other pew pew stuff Skietbaan.

This gives you a broad base of knowledge and a ready second opinion. I can bounce one piece of advice of the other (not second guessing, just fact checking) and make my own opinion.

This cannot be stressed enough. Before buying anything buy the following :

1. Training
    2. Ammo
    3. Accessories (holster belt etc)
    - get licence -
    4. Training
    5. Ammo

I am 1 month away from taking my Glock home. It already has a round count of close to 2k.

User

Speak to BigT right here on the forum.

That’s a good start right there.

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Hi Mohamed - get yourself a decent belt as well.

Lots previously discussed here in this regard.
    Agreed, a good belt goes a long way!

You trying to get to 50 posts quickly?
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Hi Mohammed

Just to add some more:

1. Get yourself a good cleaning kit, if you plan on casting or shooting store bought lead "boolits" get some lead solvent as well, I use the "classic" RAM kits with the all in one spray for hand gun, works well.
    2. Get a hold of the "MAGPUL" series of videos, it was done by Travis Hayley and Chris Costa (when they were younger). They have a number of series called: "Dynamic Art of: Carbine, Handgun etc." This will cover the manual of arms associated with Glock/1911's/M4-AR15 pattern firearms. Fundamentals such as grip, stance, "finding the front sight" etc. is well covered in these videos and will put you on sound foundation before attending the necessary hands on training courses offered by the many highly skilled trainers we have in SA.
    3. Consider how often you want to shoot and what you consider to be a worth while training session in terms of number of rounds fired, then start looking into progressive reloading. Upfront costs can seem high, it can be daunting and frustrating at first but you will be smiling in the long run especially if you want to put 300+ rounds downrange monthly.

Regards and best of luck

User

Quote Originally Posted by mohamedk.khan View Post
    Thank you. This is a wealth of information.
    Where can I source these headsets from? I’m in Jhb south but online will also do.

Edit: added the last question
    @Mohamed,

Please provide us with an update on what you bought and where you are with "getting in to" EDC and shooting in general. You may also want to mention what type of kit you have already bought and what you are still thinking of getting, so that we can make a few more recommendations and point you in the direction of specials etc.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    @Mohamed,

Please provide us with an update on what you bought and where you are with "getting in to" EDC and shooting in general. You may also want to mention what type of kit you have already bought and what you are still thinking of getting, so that we can make a few more recommendations and point you in the direction of specials etc.

Cheers
    Hi All

[mention]Tayls [/mention] Only got to collect my FA and Licence yesterday.
    While waiting, I’ve bought myself a holster from Quantity Carry, ear muffs as well which is the glock kit. Not really impressed by it because of its size so looking to get another one.

I’ve been told to wait till huntex but I’m not too certain of that will still continue depending on the current COVID-19 situation.

I also got myself a cleaning kit as well.

My boet told me he’s got a belt for me so I’ll be collecting that from him today. Think an army ant belt if I’m not mistaken.

So far that’s all.

Did I miss any essentials?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast