Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Vortex Venom 3 MOA with Dovetail mount

Good day all.

I mounted a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot sight on my Glock 22 last week using an EGW dovetail mount.The mounting process was fairly simple and straight forward.The mounting plate comes in different models for the different makes of red dot optics,so mine came with the needed screws to use with the Vortex.The dovetail mounting plate is tapered and fits very very tight and I do not think it will come loose in a hurry.After the mounting plate was fitted,I installed the sight onto the plate using the included screws and a fair amount of blue Loctite .I left the Loctite to cure for 2 days and went to the farm on Saturday to test the sight out.It took me around 25 rounds to get the sight zeroed properly(with the included tool)and from there I was just having some fun.Got used to the dot very quickly and towards the end of the day I was shooting very accurate and a lot faster than i am normally used to shooting.The quality of the sight is very good and I think it will last me for a long while still.The brightness controls are very easy to use and even in fairly bright daylight I never had to move it past level 5(out of a possible 10 levels)When it got darker I went back down to the second lowest setting.All in all I am very impressed with this sight and can recommend it to anyone that wants to go down that route.Some pictures below,we were shooting gongs at 10 m after zeroing the sight.Fired 250 rounds of mixed ammunition and the sight held zero perfectly and the mounting screws were still perfectly tight.

Cheers

20191001_212052_resized.jpgIMG-20191005-WA0043_resized.jpgIMG-20190930-WA0017_resized.jpgIMG-20191005-WA0033_resized.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vetbeer View Post
    Good day all.

I mounted a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot sight on my Glock 22 last week using an EGW dovetail mount.The mounting process was fairly simple and straight forward.The mounting plate comes in different models for the different makes of red dot optics,so mine came with the needed screws to use with the Vortex.The dovetail mounting plate is tapered and fits very very tight and I do not think it will come loose in a hurry.After the mounting plate was fitted,I installed the sight onto the plate using the included screws and a fair amount of blue Loctite .I left the Loctite to cure for 2 days and went to the farm on Saturday to test the sight out.It took me around 25 rounds to get the sight zeroed properly(with the included tool)and from there I was just having some fun.Got used to the dot very quickly and towards the end of the day I was shooting very accurate and a lot faster than i am normally used to shooting.The quality of the sight is very good and I think it will last me for a long while still.The brightness controls are very easy to use and even in fairly bright daylight I never had to move it past level 5(out of a possible 10 levels)When it got darker I went back down to the second lowest setting.All in all I am very impressed with this sight and can recommend it to anyone that wants to go down that route.Some pictures below,we were shooting gongs at 10 m after zeroing the sight.

Cheers

20191001_212052_resized.jpgIMG-20191005-WA0043_resized.jpgIMG-20190930-WA0017_resized.jpgIMG-20191005-WA0033_resized.jpg
    Looks awesome, price on this setup?

User

Default Re: Vortex Venom 3 MOA with Dovetail mount

Hi there R5500 for the sight and R1250 for the mounting plate.Got everything from Jizni.

Cheers

User

Looks great.

At what distance did you zero the RDS? Or also done at 10m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Hi Griffin,I zeroed the RDS at 10m.Shot it at 25m as well and there was a very marginal difference.

Cheers

User

I will be interested to see how it holds up.

User

Hi T, I will update again as soon as I get to a 1000 rounds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vetbeer View Post
    Good day all.

I mounted a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot sight on my Glock 22 last week using an EGW dovetail mount.The mounting process was fairly simple and straight forward.The mounting plate comes in different models for the different makes of red dot optics,so mine came with the needed screws to use with the Vortex.The dovetail mounting plate is tapered and fits very very tight and I do not think it will come loose in a hurry.After the mounting plate was fitted,I installed the sight onto the plate using the included screws and a fair amount of blue Loctite .I left the Loctite to cure for 2 days and went to the farm on Saturday to test the sight out.It took me around 25 rounds to get the sight zeroed properly(with the included tool)and from there I was just having some fun.Got used to the dot very quickly and towards the end of the day I was shooting very accurate and a lot faster than i am normally used to shooting.The quality of the sight is very good and I think it will last me for a long while still.The brightness controls are very easy to use and even in fairly bright daylight I never had to move it past level 5(out of a possible 10 levels)When it got darker I went back down to the second lowest setting.All in all I am very impressed with this sight and can recommend it to anyone that wants to go down that route.Some pictures below,we were shooting gongs at 10 m after zeroing the sight.Fired 250 rounds of mixed ammunition and the sight held zero perfectly and the mounting screws were still perfectly tight.

Cheers

Thanks for the review, Vetbeer. Will also be interested to see how the Vortex red dot holds up (I have previously owned and used a Vortex SPARC II and currently run a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x 24 BCD on my AR for DMG and have found them to be great value for money).

Out of interest, why did you decide on the 3 MOA (I see that a number of trainers strongly recommend the 6 MOA for pistol use)?

Also in which shooting sport(s) (if any) do you participate and will you use this for edc too?

Did the red dot require any changes to your holsters?

TIA

User

Hi Tayls,to answer your questions:

I decided on the 3 MOA purely on personal preference,the 6 MOA dot was a bit too big for me and I can comfortably and quickly pick up the dot on 10 and 25m.I do not participate in any shooting sports,I have got a little range on our farm with frames and gongs where we do most of our shooting.This is not my EDC gun,more like a fun/farm gun.I carry it on the farm in a Fobus Gl2 tactical holster that also accomodates my Olight Baldr Light/laser combo.

Cheers

User

Thanks Bud.

Presume that you didn’t need to make any changes to your holsters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast