Default Spyderco Para3 sharpening angle

Either my google skills are lacking, or its not been asked here yet. Does anyone know what the factory angles are? I have a Spyderco sharpener, but I merely want to touch up the blade, not reprofile it or anything adventurous.

User

Default Re: Spyderco Para3 sharpening angle

The primary factory bevels on Spyderco knives are around 30 degrees - they will sometimes vary.

Sharpening (touch up and maintaining) means adding secondary microbevels, at a greater angle than the primary bevels. So you want to use the 40 degree setting for this. I regularly maintain mine so just make use of the ceramic stones, but depending on yours you may want to use the brown stones.

The 30 degree setting is there for reprofiling (resetting the angles of the primary bevels).

User

My ParaMil works very well with 40 degrees inclusive on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. That is 20 each side. I reprofile other knives to work on 40 inclusive for ease of regular touching up with the Sharpmaker.

Thanks, gents! The Para is so pretty that I don't really want to touch it, but it is such a joy to cut things with that it will be due some touch-up sometime. Want to be ready when the time comes. In the meantime I'm honing my skills on all the cheapy knives that one tend to collect in the bedside table's drawers. Meh, wat is 'n bedkassie in Engels!?

Bed-side table But yes, not quite as descriptive as bedkassie!

I’m a big fan of my Para 3s, carried one yesterday, certainly one of my favourite designs so far.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    My ParaMil works very well with 40 degrees inclusive on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. That is 20 each side. I reprofile other knives to work on 40 inclusive for ease of regular touching up with the Sharpmaker.
    This is good advice, but not if someone else uses your knife. Then 30° per side for an inclusive 60° is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    This is good advice, but not if someone else uses your knife. Then 30° per side for an inclusive 60° is better.
    The Sharpmaker only provides for two settings, 30 inclusive or 40 inclusive.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The Sharpmaker only provides for two settings, 30 inclusive or 40 inclusive.
    Thanks.

User

60 inclusive will take a lot away from the excellent slicing ability of the ParaMil.

30 inclusive is a very acute edge and I think the ParaMil will work very well with 30 inclusive due to the blade stock thickness and the full flat grind but it is going to need much more care than a 40 inclusive edge.

40 inclusive still does justice to the slicing ability of the knife and is quite durable when sharpened correctly - that is making sure there is no burr when sharpening is completed.