Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: DIY kydex holsters

One thing to remember. Ovens with no thermofan don't have an even heat distribution, so you can get cold(er) spots in some places. Not sure if it will affect overall quality though

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    One thing to remember. Ovens with no thermofan don't have an even heat distribution, so you can get cold(er) spots in some places. Not sure if it will affect overall quality though
    No. The difference between one piece and a other does not matter that much.

Even a heat gun works very well, just have to be nimble once heated to get in your press and form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Funny how this thread has popped up after looking at openmould website today. Looking at replacing screws and posts on my EDC holster. Sweat has started to chow the screws up. Got to looking at how simple each component is...

Has any of the original posters carried on with Diy holsters and sheaths? Some more pics and feedback would be great.

User

Default DIY kydex holsters

DIY sport holster for my 1911, just need to fit the belt clip.

Sent from my iPad

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Funny how this thread has popped up after looking at openmould website today. Looking at replacing screws and posts on my EDC holster. Sweat has started to chow the screws up. Got to looking at how simple each component is...

Has any of the original posters carried on with Diy holsters and sheaths? Some more pics and feedback would be great.
    I quit, I found the quality of our locally manufactured holsters far superior to my DIY holsters.... it was fun though

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    DIY sport holster for my 1911, just need to fit the belt clip.

Sent from my iPad
    Looks sharp, the orange really contrasts!

I’ve continued with it, but have only made a few holsters. Need to make a few more very soon for new pistols.

The biggest advantage for me personally is that I can change and adjust the holsters as my needs changed. I’ve modified mine when I installed an optic, when I decided to carry appendix and a few nights ago when I removed the optic again for my new Shadow.

User

Yeah Steve, some of the local guys really make superb products. I suspect its easy to make, but difficult to make nicely. A hour to learn, a thousand hours to master type story.

Marnus, so you reuse the kydex when you make alterations or do you use new kydex sheets and create new holsters?

User

Looks sharp, the orange really contrasts!
    Thanks, started as a fun project but actually works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah Steve, some of the local guys really make superb products. I suspect its easy to make, but difficult to make nicely. A hour to learn, a thousand hours to master type story.

Marnus, so you reuse the kydex when you make alterations or do you use new kydex sheets and create new holsters?
    No I use the same holster and just modify it where necessary with a heat gun. So you keep the overall shape and only heat up the part you need adjusted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast