Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: DIY kydex holsters

On the final iteration of the belt clip that I have since done, it does - thanks for highlighting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Your holster needs to completely cover the trigger and trigger guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxman View Post
    Hi guys

I have used 3D printing to essentially replace the kydex part, and it allows for a precise fit, and much lower cost, the flat part that touch your skin can be cut out of leather

So far I have done designs and prototypes for G19 and CZP07
    Where is the retention?

User

The retention is by means of friction, and the plan is to use leather on the back, and adjust the retention just like you would have done if you made a kydex holster

as it is, I can hold the holster upside down and the gun stays in place with a full mag's weight

User

The retention is by means of friction, and the plan is to use leather on the back, and adjust the retention just like you would have done if you made a kydex holster

as it is, I can hold the holster upside down and the gun stays in place with a full mag's weight
    The principle of a kydex holster is that its retention is around the trigger guard as its the most important part, having a holster with a leather backing, or any hybrid holster, fluctuates in retention, were a full kydex holster offers the same retention every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Apologies to the OP and others, I know this isn't the place as it isn't Kydex.

There is a thread for 3d printed items, I'll need to look around to find it again.
    A nice design that you made for yourself, solidworks drawing?
    I see that it isn't something pulled from Thingiverse or elsewhere.

The concept you have in mind is ok but needs tweaking.
    Your trigger must be fully concealed and protected if using the holster to EDC.
    Insufficient positive retention and the pistol can jump out with a physical routine or movement.

Keep in mind that the retention friction will be lost with use as the filament wears as there is no adjustment point to increase retention as necessary.

Depending on the filament used that will either happen quicker or it may last a little longer.
    If you used the "engineering filament" it will last the longest. Certain PLA will soften and become pliable on a hot day and pushed against your body. ABS or nylon will be better but not perfect.
    The 3d printed holster will be harder on your slide and frame and cause visible wear spots quicker.

For your backer,don't only use leather.
    Between the leather and holster outer form, print a flat backer as visible on your model and the same as the leather.
    A few layers high, depending on your layer height, giving you around 2 millimetres or so (testing needed there).
    Placing that between the leather and outer cover will increase the safety (solid surface) and increase retention a little for a while until it re-forms with use.

User

Friction on which contact points?

And adjustable how on the leather backing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad187 View Post
    I've also decided to give it a try, I've purchased a press from KMTS
    Knife sheaths aren't that hard to make but the firearm holsters are abit tricky, I have to admit it's not as easy as it looks in those YouTube videos
    Those who are making their own holsters are you heating the kydex with a heat gun or in an oven?
    If in an oven at what temperature and for how long do you heat it
    I see the sheets of kydex are really inexpensive, I'm guessing the press cost a pretty penny?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5