Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Red Dot Optics for sport shooting & possible EDC (recommendations & input requested)

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I still wouldn’t choose an RMR for a sport gun
    How come?

User

Default Re: Red Dot Optics for sport shooting & possible EDC (recommendations & input requested)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCottonFluff View Post
    How come?
    Big T has his own reasons, but here are mine:

There are better gaming red dots out there. The Trijicon SRO being infinitely better for gaming than the RMR. Look at the size of the optic compared to the RMR.

Personally cost is also a factor: I can afford to buy two Holosun's / Shields/ Sightmark red dot sights. For the same money, I can't buy one RMR or SRO.

One is one, and two is one. I would much rather have a spare second gun & optic combo for gaming.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCottonFluff View Post
    How come?
    Lens is pretty small with a big heavy frame. It’s heavily tinted as well.

Fine for its intended purpose. But not ideal for gaming.

User

So I think I'm in the same boat as a bunch of other folks who are considering the #DotLife.

I have some reservations about whether I personally will be able to:-
    1) show considerable improvement with a dot that would justify the costs
    2) be able to successfully EDC with a dot

Because of these concerns it leads me to think that going with the rear sight mounting plate is a feasible entry point rather than committing to milling a slide. But this comes with its own challenges:-
    1) Dots are costly
    2) Loss of the rear sight with most mount plates
    3) Front sight becomes somewhat obsolete as the plate would make the dot sit higher than it would in a milled slide; and co-witnessing becomes impossible.
    4) Cost of dipping a toe is pretty high (dot + plate/milling + holster + potentially suppressor height front sight)

If all of that works I and figure that this dot thing has got some legs, I'd likely need to dotify sports handguns as well to ensure the continuation of training/trigger-time/skills. In other words, more cost.

Being me, I get stuck on thinking through the many permutations and what-if scenarios.
    I like the theory of the dot; I'm just very worried about committing to the practical adoption of it.

Taking all this into account and factoring in costs, going for the cheaper (read cost effective) dot then becomes a bit of a risk mitigation tactic for me. I don't need gold standard as much as I need a workable dot option.

Where to from here?

User

The dot doesn’t really change how the gun carries.

The improvements will really be related to the work you put in. But beyond the issues of pure performance it allows you to target focus and as a result maximise awareness downrange while still being able to get good performance.

Yup there’s a cost, that you can’t get away from.

The Holosun and Sheila are very solid and cost effective.

The Aimpoint C1 is obviously bomb proof and I understand substantially cheaper than the P1. It is a little more bulky but would also be the best option if you are going to forgo back up sights

User

So to revive an old thread, what is the guarantee like on the Shield? I've emailed MRST this morning as well to find out, but I'd like to hear from consumers as well. I'm in the market for an RDS, and I'm leaning towards the Vortex, mainly because of the guarantee. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quick update.... after great input from BigT, The Beast and Socrates (and following quite a bit of further research and investigation), I have now done the following:--

a) bought the Holosun HE508T (and yes, I know that this model has been discontinued due to the litigation brought against Holosun by Trijicon)... that said, this was the model which I had decided to buy before the litigation... In addition, the "T" stands for titanium (which I feel will be slightly stronger than the usual aluminium)
    b) I decided to have the slide milled for better attachment (thanks to the good folk from MRST)
    c) I will be using this optic on my G19, Gen 4 for EDC and sport use
    d) I have been training (dry fire) with it for the last few days and am loving it!
    e) I have now taken it to the range and checked how it performs at 3m, 5m, 8, 10m, 15m, 20m and 30m..
    f) I did an IPSC club shoot with it last night and loved how it performed (as I am getting older, I have really been struggling to get a clear sight picture with my iron sights, and yes, I already wear contact lenses).

I'll keep you all posted as to my findings, but my thanks to those people on this thread who have provided me with some invaluable advice and guidance (you guys all rock)!

User

PS. for those of you who might be keen on the Holosun (and this model), I understand that Holosun has already re-engineered those parts of this specific optic which were the cause of Trijicon's litigation (as I understand it, these were to do with the size and orientation of the brightness buttons, can you believe it!???) and will shortly be re-releasing the HE508T - vX2 in the USA shortly...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Naatie View Post
    So to revive an old thread, what is the guarantee like on the Shield? I've emailed MRST this morning as well to find out, but I'd like to hear from consumers as well. I'm in the market for an RDS, and I'm leaning towards the Vortex, mainly because of the guarantee. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Probably best to call and speak to Guy or Austen (they are really good guys and a call and chat is often better than an email)

User

Here is the Sage Dynamics review of the Holosun HE508T (v2), for those of you who might be interested:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast