Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which calling sounds work in South Africa.1

I am in BC, Canada and am coming to hunt in Limpopo and Mozambique Sept 2020. I have experience calling coyotes, moose and wolves in Western Canada and have a small/good electronic caller that I can load new calling sounds on.
    I am coming to hunt in Limpopo and Mozambique. I would like to try calling when I am not hunting Buffalo.

Please help me with four questions:
    1. Should I get some Jackal calling sounds that are specific to Africa or should I just use my North American coyote calling sounds?
    2. Are the jackal pelts very good in September?
    3. What other animals do you call in South Africa?
    4. Is there currently a good supplier for calling audio recording in South Africa?

I appreciate your help.

Dankie,
    Brian Gallup

Banned

Default Re: Which calling sounds work in South Africa.1

There are quite a few professional jackal hunters who sell recordings.

In our area, the most successful call is said to be that of a wounded jackal.

It would be interesting to know whether the coyote calls work over here.

Banned

Pelts in SA are not as thick as in the northern hemisphere because we have dust instead of snow.

User

Hi Brian,

Try to get hold of Taffie Mulder. He presents calling courses in the Eastern Cape Province in SA. He has 4 CD's with different calls. I think they are called Tafjak.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrum View Post
    I am in BC, Canada and am coming to hunt in Limpopo and Mozambique Sept 2020. I have experience calling coyotes, moose and wolves in Western Canada and have a small/good electronic caller that I can load new calling sounds on.
    I am coming to hunt in Limpopo and Mozambique. I would like to try calling when I am not hunting Buffalo.

Please help me with four questions:
    1. Should I get some Jackal calling sounds that are specific to Africa or should I just use my North American coyote calling sounds?
    2. Are the jackal pelts very good in September?
    3. What other animals do you call in South Africa?
    4. Is there currently a good supplier for calling audio recording in South Africa?

I appreciate your help.

Dankie,
    Brian Gallup
    1. I have never tried coyote sounds but a few of the original foxpro food sounds works very well such as javalina and jackrabbit. You'll need various jackal calls as well depending on the time of year.

2. What do you want to use the pelts for? Jackals usually gets thrown away in SA. I have not seen significant differences in their pelts throughout the year, however I've never paid notice to it either.

3. Most cat species can be called in but with lots of patience as they move a lot slower than jackal. Cats are generally much easier to shoot than jackal once you've successfully called them in. Caracal is a big problem for farmers. Other cats include African wildcat, serval, Genet and civet but these I don't shoot as they usually don't cause any damage. Crows can also be called but I have never done it myself.

4. https://www.jaracal.net/3-cd-s-en-dvd-s
    Jaracal online shop you can buy quality sounds individually or a CD with various sounds on. There is also an e-book I would suggest you read before calling. This information is golden.

Jackal have a huge financial impact on farms in SA. They are sly animals that are not easy to call and shoot. Most importantly, they learn quickly. Once they smell you or you miss a shot, you have successfully trained a sheep thief to never respond to a call again and be afraid of lights. Shots range anything between 50m-300m (bushveld) with little time to aim. I would suggest you arrange with a professional jackal hunter to accommodate you for the hunt, as he will have the right equipment and knowledge. Every province in SA has its own laws for calling and hunting at night, your PH/outfitter should be able to advise you. In limpopo you only need written permission from the owner to shoot black backed jackal. Calling is great fun, and even more so if it's done the right way.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Goeie More, Ds J. (It's 4.00 a.m. here.)
    Thanks for the good advice. I will check it out.
    "dust not snow" Makes sense.

Maroelas, Lank laas gezien! I will contact Tafjak. Thank you!
    Good to hear from you.

grasbuffle, Thanks for the full response. Very useful advice and information.
    I thought that I would get a few Jackal skins sent to Canada. Some people might enjoy them. But, probably be a foolish idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrum View Post
    grasbuffle, Thanks for the full response. Very useful advice and information.
    I thought that I would get a few Jackal skins sent to Canada. Some people might enjoy them. But, probably be a foolish idea.
    Hi Abrum. I think jackal skins will definitely be something nice to take home as a memory. Good luck with your hunt and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Banned

Brian, maybe get ahold of Geno from G&G Varminting. It's his area of speciality

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast