Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Which calling sounds work in South Africa.1

The jackal pelt was sometimes used to make a "karos" (pronounced "khaross") which is basically a duvet made from soft animal skins. Dassie and ribbokskins were favourites if my knowledge is correct. From time to time jackal was utilized. The fur is soft enough.

Ds J, Thanks, That's interesting. Thanks.

BBT, Thanks. I will. Brian

User

I say use them, people here tend to despise jackal and just shoot them on sight. I have my own opinion and theories on the subject but that is not important. It would keep the memories of your visit alive and make a nice gift, and at least the animal is not wasted. As has been said contact the guys from G&G Varminting,they will be able to help with all your questions.

Right Wolf, I would like to save the skins for something. A few Jackal skins would make a nice gift and memory of Africa.

Ds J has an interesting idea for a karos. My Grandson would think that's pretty nice!
    I am contacting G&G. Good idea.
    I want to get things sorted for myself before i bring the subject up with my PH.

I have a switch barrel rifle and will probably bring a .223 along with my .500-110. Maybe a 243 AI barrel instead of the .233, if I can find the right non-expanding bullet.

I will be hunting in Mozambique and then the LowVeld this time and then visiting Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with Pieter Kriel for a couple of days. What part of Limpopo are you from?

Thanks, Brian

User

Sounds like you have quite the trip planned! I live in a town about 70km from the Punda Maria gate of the Kruger National Park.

I hunted buffalo near there last year, and got a chance to explore around that area. I love that country. In 2020 I will be hunting a buffalo bull NW of Crooks Corner. Then back into the Lowveld near the Punda Maria gate for a week of hunting and exploring. My friend and PH for the Lowveld trip, Pieter Kriel is a great hunting partner. Mkulu Hunting Safaris. He also is a historian and anthropologist. Lots of fun to be with and great source of info. I am very interested in the bush, the people and the history of South Africa. I don't go to South Africa just to hunt. Usually my wife comes with me and sometimes my family. We usually stay for two months. Last year my 9 yr old grandson hunted in the Waterberg.
    I sure love South Africa and consider myself very fortunate to be able to visit there.

User

Sounds like quite the trip, glad to see your interest in our beautiful country and you certainly are doing it the right way getting a professional guide to accompany you. It makes the experience just that more rewarding.

User

Abrum, if you have read or are reading Harry Wolhutters book you must pop into the museum at Skukuza to view his knife, belt and his lion skin. We were there earlier this year with our grand-daughter. She had read the book just before the trip and was gob-smacked to see these items - even at age 9 she spent 10 minutes or so just staring at them.

Peter. Thanks, My wife and I have been to Skukuza three times in the last decade, once with our family. Somehow, I missed the knife display. Don't know how I could have! But, regrettably, I did. I think that in my 2020 trip, I will be too far north to visit Skukuza.
    Your granddaughter sounds like a very aware young lady. Even reading the book at age 9 is outstanding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast