Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Howa .270 as a long range rifle

I see that the Humansdorp Co-op has a special on Howa 270's for R5400 ! Although it is only camo stocks available, for that price it is worth it.
    My question is, how viable will the .270 be as an entry level rifle for long range target shooting ? I would say between 100 and 600 meters ?
    Or should I spend a bit more money and get one of the more "acceptable" calibers for target shooting ? It will not be used for hunting, just target shooting.

Default Re: Howa .270 as a long range rifle

Following

User

270 will be plenty fine, you easily hit 600m it. Just remember that the 270 is a long action which might limit upgrade options in the future, but for that price, go for it, it's a bargain!

Website shows "Out of Stock"

User

No no no, the rifle will be a very good hunting rifle up to 500m, but it's not designed for target shooting at long range.

Save up and buy something designed for that purpose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Website shows "Out of Stock"
    Eish.....!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    No no no, the rifle will be a very good hunting rifle up to 500m, but it's not designed for target shooting at long range.

Save up and buy something designed for that purpose.
    Even my 3006 hits 600m with little effort. Why not the 270? Berger makes some good VLD Hunting bullets with great BC's, and Hornady makes their ELD-X in a nice 145gn bullet for the 270.. Up to 600m, it will hit with ease. Maybe as a 1500m rifle, or PRS rifle it's not the best choice, but that wasn't the question.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisOK View Post
    I see that the Humansdorp Co-op has a special on Howa 270's for R5400 ! Although it is only camo stocks available, for that price it is worth it.
    My question is, how viable will the .270 be as an entry level rifle for long range target shooting ? I would say between 100 and 600 meters ?
    Or should I spend a bit more money and get one of the more "acceptable" calibers for target shooting ? It will not be used for hunting, just target shooting.
    A 270 win is not the most efficient round availabe. It will use 10 to 15 gr more powder than a 308 win or a 6.5 CM but it will shoot flatter and hold more energy than either out to 1000m. It is a very under-rated cartridge.

User

But surely barrel profile and length are factors for dedicated long range. Then a stock for the same application, a little different from a rifle geared for hunting.

Doable yes, not sure about ideal.

User

It is not so much about the cartridge as it is about the rifle itself. The Howa sporter rifles with their thin 22"barrels (in standard calibers) do make excellent hunting rifles.

However, the OP explicitly states that the rifle will not be used for hunting. A heavy barreled 6.5 Creedmoor or .308 win will make a much better target rifle. The extra weight will serve to moderate recoil, a factor not really important in a hunting rifle that get shot once or twice from a field position but important for a target rifle where more rounds are fired from prone or a bench. Similarly, the heavier barrel will heat up slower which again is not important in a hunting rifle but does make a difference in repeatable accuracy when you are firing 5 shots in rapid succession.

The .270 win, in a target type rifle might be an option, however, it will probably still have a shorter barrel life in a target shooting environment than the 6.5 Creedmoor or, especially, the .308 win. Shooting bullets of similar weight it will also have more recoil, which again is not important in a hunting rifle but is important in a target rifle. Suppressors and muzzle brakes will solve the recoil problem but both bring their own problems to a target shooting environment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast