Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Howa .270 as a long range rifle

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Even my 3006 hits 600m with little effort. Why not the 270? Berger makes some good VLD Hunting bullets with great BC's, and Hornady makes their ELD-X in a nice 145gn bullet for the 270.. Up to 600m, it will hit with ease. Maybe as a 1500m rifle, or PRS rifle it's not the best choice, but that wasn't the question.
    You CAN make the 270 into a real long range shooter, but a factory Howa is not that, it comes with a 22” barrel, which hampers the velocity in the long and large powder column with slow burning powder.

What you want is at least a 26” barrel with a 1 in 8.5 twist so that you can shoot the 170gr Berger EOL.
    It’s a beast.

So now you want to shoot targets up to 600m with the little Howa, easily achieved, I do that a lot, but not logical for the goal of the rifle. First you have to deal with a lot of recoil, secondly you burn a lot of powder, and thirdly you don’t sit with the long range component choices of real target rifles.

I mean if I wanted just a target rifle to play with up to 600m, which is short range, surely it would be something like a 1in 8 twist 223, much more efficient/cheap with none of the recoil.
    The OP did ask if he should rather buy something more suited to the task, I think he must, honest opinion from someone that knows a little about 270’s.

User

I know it is maybe not ideal for really long range shooting, but for an entry level type rifle ( ...getting it cheap ! ) will it be enough to learn the basics, and having some fun while doing it ?
    If not ideal, what other calbers in Howa's 1500 type rifles will be better suitted for this ?

Banned

So many ifs and buts. Stock standard 303's were used to shoot out to 1000 yards and with military ammo at that. Even my Ruger RPR in 243 did great at 600m - first time I shot at that range also using factory ammo.

The Americans have been shooting varmints out to 500 yards with 222's and 223's and a lot were plain hunting rifles. Can the 270 do that. Yes it can, but it will not be tops in competitions. So if the rifle is very cheap and it is known for good accuracy then buy and use it. You can then also hunt with it if a chance presents itself.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

As an entry level, yes it would do OK. But not for long. A great hunting rifle and caliber it is. You ask if it would be better to spend a few more bucks? My answer would be yes. Myself and I know a lot of others as well has bought rifles of any configuration and tried to make it into something that it was not never designed to be in the first place. Then you start with all sorts of modifications and plans and "stuff" to get it doing that intended job. In the end it all costs a whole lot more than what the right rifle would have cost from the beginning. Rifle accessories in the end adds up to more than the rifle itself in the end. Think rails/mounts/bases, swivels, bi-pods, silencers, gunsmith fine tuning (polishing, bedding etc) and optics to be the single most expensive accessory. In the larger scheme of things I would rather spend the more money on the "basis" (rifle) for the specific purpose. Way better than ending up with a completed project that is R 2000-5000 cheaper than the right one and the cheaper one is still not the one that you know will "never be it."

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You CAN make the 270 into a real long range shooter, but a factory Howa is not that, it comes with a 22” barrel, which hampers the velocity in the long and large powder column with slow burning powder.

What you want is at least a 26” barrel with a 1 in 8.5 twist so that you can shoot the 170gr Berger EOL.
    It’s a beast.

So now you want to shoot targets up to 600m with the little Howa, easily achieved, I do that a lot, but not logical for the goal of the rifle. First you have to deal with a lot of recoil, secondly you burn a lot of powder, and thirdly you don’t sit with the long range component choices of real target rifles.

I mean if I wanted just a target rifle to play with up to 600m, which is short range, surely it would be something like a 1in 8 twist 223, much more efficient/cheap with none of the recoil.
    The OP did ask if he should rather buy something more suited to the task, I think he must, honest opinion from someone that knows a little about 270’s.
    I can second that. The Howa is now made in a 223Rem with 1:8" twist barrel. Unfortunately only available in the standard (thin 22" barrel) configuration for now, but it is a sweet-shooting rifle with the right loads. Even if the 223 rifle costs you much more than the 270 special advertised, the running costs will make up for the difference quickly.

A heavy-barreled rifle would be ideal. If only targets out to 600m are on the menu, have a look at the various 1:8" twist 223 rifles out there. The Tikkas are quite appealing to me. I have seen a Ruger American Predator (semi-heavy barrel) that shoots pretty well too. The particular Ruger also shot 55gn bullets well, something the Tikka and Howa seem not to do. The heavier 75 - 80 gn bullets are more suited to the faster twist rates and do quite well out to 800 m and beyond.

Banned

What makes a long range rifle is the platform, not the caliber.

The anaemic Creedmoors are long range rifles, but the ballistic capabilites are not better than a .270 . A .270 with a 22 inch barrel still outperforms a Creedmoor in terms of velocity per bullet weight.

What makes the Creedmoor a long range rifle is the free floated bull barrel, relatively heavy weight, pillar bedded stock and integral rail for the scope. This is an exceptionally stable platform, which is key to a long range rifle.

User

While I agree with Messor, passing up that rifle for R5,400 would be silly. Buy it. If you find that it's not suited for your shooting up to around 600m, sell it and buy something else. I've done 500m shooting with a .270 Win for some time, and it's very capable of that. It's an underrated cartridge with some good bullets for that medium ranges, and while it does take a lot of powder and kick a bit more than other calibers, it works. Also doubles up as a nice hunting cartridge.

User

Thanx for all the input... I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones ! Like Toxxyc said, getting it for that price I just had to buy it ! I will find a use for it !

User

Enjoy the rifle, but spend money on a good gum guard for every time you pull the trigger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast