Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Howa .270 as a long range rifle

Elke sport het sy beserings….. :-)

User

O well.....

Anyways it's a large cartridge, no need to push it, that would just lessen barrel life, 270's last very long when shooting at mild pressures.
    Look at something like a 140gr Berger, push it between 2800 to 2850 ft/s.

It's got a BC of .528 and will shoot up to 600m with the greatest of ease, but with the pressure idling at 50k psi.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    O well.....
    You sound disappointed. Think he should have taken one in .30-06...?

Banned

I see that my Mosin is not valued as a long range shooter.

The 303 also did well at longer ranges.

It is just too easy to solve a perceived problem by throwing our new technology at it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    We can always twist his arm for a second Howa, my 3006 might be in the market soon..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You have a question, you need a vernier but the hammer is on sale for half the price, then you ask whether you should rather buy the vernier or if the hammer can do the job.

People here know me, a 270 guy, so when the 270 guy tells you not to buy it then you know he is being serious.
    The choice have been made, so as you can see in post 22 all I can do now give is more advice.

That was serious, but if you want some tongue in cheek as well:

You need a target rifle(vernier), but the hammer(270) is currently half price, for good measure lets throw in a third contender, the 30-06, a tiberian manatee and hope it works.

User

Hi Messor, I apppreciate the advice and I will remember that. I'm not that much of an expert, and that was why I asked the question. In hind sight, I was always going to buy it, especially for that price ! I just needed a good excuse...remember I must still write a motivation for it ! And if the hammmer comes with fine machining and a ruler on the handle, maybe I can use it as a vernier from time to time !
    But serious, I appreciate all the advice !

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You have a question, you need a vernier but the hammer is on sale for half the price, then you ask whether you should rather buy the vernier or if the hammer can do the job.

People here know me, a 270 guy, so when the 270 guy tells you not to buy it then you know he is being serious.
    The choice have been made, so as you can see in post 22 all I can do now give is more advice.

That was serious, but if you want some tongue in cheek as well:

You need a target rifle(vernier), but the hammer(270) is currently half price, for good measure lets throw in a third contender, the 30-06, a tiberian manatee and hope it works.
    Haha I get it's tongue in the cheek, but I would also have bought the 270. I've always wanted a 270, yet I still bought a .30-06 because it's a better suited gun to my needs. At the price though (R5,400, which is incidentally the same I paid for my Rem 700), I would have bought that rifle in almost any caliber if the ammo and spares are as available as your common calibers. It's like saying you need a vernier, so you go to the hardware shop to buy one, but then you find shiny new hammers for so damn cheap you can't let it go.

We've all done it, you have to admit. Go to the gunshop looking for a tin of powder or whatever, and leave with a new scope or a new sling or something other than what you wanted in the first place. It's part of what makes gunshops so lekker and so dangerous :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisOK View Post
    Thanx for all the input... I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones ! Like Toxxyc said, getting it for that price I just had to buy it ! I will find a use for it !
    HOWA appear regularly on GunAfrica ( Gumtree for Guns )
    Saw a .270 there the other day for R4,000.00
    At that price I would buy it -- just for the ACTION ( long action )

User

Its a good price for a good rifle. Its not going to win many matches, but will make noise on a gong at distances most people will never shoot and is a great choice for when and if the "allure" of long range shooting wears off. Not directed at the OP but a lot of first time "long distance" rifle buyers quickly find out there is a lot more "work" behind long range shooting than they anticipated.

My guess is this. The OP has not bought the perfect rifle for the purpose with which he perhaps intended....but without knowing it he might have made a great choice for how he may ultimately end up using the rifle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast