Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Time to change my barrel?

So I blocked the end of the barrel with some tissue, poured down some M98 and gave the inside of the barrel a good scrubbing with the plastic brush. I then left it overnight, and pulled a few patches through and then re-cleaned with some Hoppe's this morning. Group size has gone from 2MOA to 1MOA with the Barnes load. I've got to say. TStone is a genius

Now I need to think of a mechanism why this would work? The Speer 160 cup and core are not affected but the Barnes are?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Now I need to think of a mechanism why this would work? The Speer 160 cup and core are not affected but the Barnes are?
    It has to do with the difference in the metal/metal alloy the bullet is made from. I would guess that Pirate and Messor might be able to answer this for you. And no, there is no genius involved in solving your problem, some of us learn from personal experience, thanks to forums like this it is possible to learn from another person's experience which is the preferred way to learn.

User

It's just the copper that doesn't like the gilding metal.

It's widely known to cause issues in some rifles, I say some because the phenomenon clearly differs between barrels. Some can shoot different bullets all day long, others like bullets of the same material. But rifles like what they like, they all differ.

On a personal note, none of my rifles have ever exhibited this problem, but then my rifles are always clean from all types of fouling, including copper, so perhaps my cleaning regiment prevents me from ever encountering this problem.

User

Don't be so modest TStone. We continuously come across information everyday. Many people see and hear the truth, or things of value, but they are unable to identify it as that. It takes a good brain to choose the correct info as being of value and use it to add value.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    So I blocked the end of the barrel with some tissue, poured down some M98 and gave the inside of the barrel a good scrubbing with the plastic brush. I then left it overnight, and pulled a few patches through and then re-cleaned with some Hoppe's this morning. Group size has gone from 2MOA to 1MOA with the Barnes load. I've got to say. TStone is a genius

A short explanation:

The Barnes bullets are made from softer copper. This will be pushed out by a harder jacketed bullet.

If some of the harder bullet's fouling sits in the bore, the softer copper will accumulate on top of it.

This is an over-simplified explanation, but should illustrate the point.

Do clean out the copper fouling regularly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2