Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Arrow Re: Jackal control myths

Quote Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
    Brenneke, those will be bulletproof Trueworx machines acessorised by Trueworx . But 204 will most definetely tell you more.
    Kriek
    Thanks for the info
    First off I read that as -- TRUEWORTHS -- It's a pain getting old ..

Would you like to tell us more about -- TRUEWORX ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Jackal control through not shooting and instead trying to live with the local population is a myth, thought up by some fucking moron that did not spend most of his life living with jackal kills, and does not understand the nature of the animal at all.
    OK
    So I am now going to put the lion amongst the hounds ...
    Silly wildlife people that know nothing ...

I wonder -- in the areas where many Jackal are shot / killed
    Is any one busy with "research" ?

On the farms where large numbers of Jackal are killed -- WHAT are the comparative stick losses ( percentage / ratio )
    ( Perhaps Messor will tell us that it is better to kill them BEFORE they become a problem ? )

Is anyone doing a stomach investigation and analysis ? - to see what the Jackal are actually EATING !

Once it is known what the Jackal are eating is any further research done to ascertain how prevalent those species are on the farms on which the Jackal are killed ?

Do farming practices on those farms encourage or not the type of NATURAL prey found in the Jackal stomachs ?

I always thought that REAL hunters were also conservationists -- and -- took an interest in the different aspects that are part and parcel of the Veld and natural World ?

I am sure SOME research has been done
    Perhaps someone can scratch it out somewhere ?

Default Re: Jackal control myths

While I am sure the research exists, you really shouldn’t confuse hunting with pest control.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Once it is known what the Jackal are eating is any further research done to ascertain how prevalent those species are on the farms on which the Jackal are killed ?

Do farming practices on those farms encourage or not the type of NATURAL prey found in the Jackal stomachs ?
    Black backed jackal eat meat. They do not distinguish between natural prey and non natural prey. For a black backed jackal born and raised on a sheep farm, sheep lambs are natural prey. Jackal, like all predators, are opportunists. So, a jackal is not going to walk past a merino lamb and start searching for a scrub hare because he considers the hare to be natural prey. Catching a scrub hare is a lot more effort for a lot less meat.

Predators hunt to survive, they do not practice ethical hunting as we understand it. Sure, in times of plenty they might be picky or, especially if it is a cat, will slaughter just for fun but mostly they hunt because they need to eat. There is very little room for being picky in nature. Also, that jackal (or caracal, or leopard, or whatever) does not live by rules made by humans, it does not know that catching a sheep lamb or goat kid is "wrong" and catching a hare or steenbok is the proper thing to do.

User

@ Brenneke

You seem to have little experience in this topic, no offence.
    My brother is on the farm and he sends me photo's of all the jackal kills, I need not ponder what is in their stomachs.
    Also, studies should be area related,one must determine the natural food resources, and what they contribute towards predation figures.
    Guess how many studies have been done in the area I speak of?
    None, that is the amount, so I can tell you with 100% certainty whatever the greenies brings up as facts is nonsense.

Besides inspecting kills we also track their movements, this is done by studying tracks on main roads between jackal proof fencing.
    The tracks indicate one thing, jackal ignore natural food and makes a beeline STRAIGHT to the first camp containing sheep. They don't give a shit about natural food sources when sheep are around, why would they, animals take the path of least resistance, that includes food, they take the easy meal.

We have monitored caracal walking through a herd of ribbok, passing 5m past the nearest animal, all to get to the next camp which contains sheep.
    The tracks of jackal often crisscross along a fence as they try to find a hole in jackal proof fencing, and this is after they allready walked several miles just to get there, plain ignoring all natural food on their way there.

We simply don't make this stuff up, we live this stuff.

If there is one thing I have learned in life is that studies show exactly what they want those who ordered them to show.
    That is why each year first you will read eating eggs is good for you, and next year they will be bad for you.
    This year certain foods will be linked to cancer, next year they will be linked to reducing cancer.
    This year fat is bad for you, next year fat is best for you.

Why, because in the year 2020 studies show whatever the person paying for them wants it to show.
    As far as this topic goes, I cannot even fathom how any researcher can contemplate why jackal would not be a problem in an environment totally enriched with easy to catch non natural prey, with all other predators removed.
    That is the only thing that boggles my mind, how people can be so narrow minded.

User

Some days a swear that if a greenie actually just spend two days with me in the veld and uses his freaking eyes he would learn more about it than a years worth of book reading.

Topics like these is where one must be clear even greenpeace uses diesel powered boats and use vehicles running off fossil fuels.
    Even the anc have no problem with firearms, they just want to be the only people that have them.
    When a quest is narrative driven instead of a quest for truth and justice it will ALWAYS fail.
    Why the bleeding hearts for jackal, why not a call for the re-introduction of all natural predators, huh?
    It’s because bleeding hearts still want their steak, they just don’t like the logic that comes with it.

Some days a swear that if a greenie actually just spend two days with me in the veld and uses his freaking eyes he would learn more about it than a years worth of book reading.

Topics like these is where one must be clear even greenpeace uses diesel powered boats and use vehicles running off fossil fuels.
    Even the anc have no problem with firearms, they just want to be the only people that have them.
    When a quest is narrative driven instead of a quest for truth and justice it will ALWAYS fail.
    Why the bleeding hearts for jackal, why not a call for the re-introduction of all natural predators, huh?
    It’s because bleeding hearts still want their steak, they just don’t like the logic that comes with it.
    Reminds me of the joke of the Greenie that pitched in the Cradock area to convince the local farming association to support the male jackal sterilization program: to which one Uncle replied “my girl they are eating the sheep, not f@$ing them”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

@ Brenneke
    You seem to have little experience in this topic, no offence.
    No offence -- perhaps you have little experience of proper wildlife management ?
    In my day we used -- "gifskieters" for which one went on a course and got a license
    That is the only thing that boggles my mind, how people can be so narrow minded.
    Indeed
    The first thing science teaches is "measurement"
    You have to know what you are working with and you have to be able to "measure" / "quantify"
    SO
    One looks and learns and designs a research protocol once you have worked out what you need to discover
    and
    HOW you are going to obtain the data needed for the study
    and
    HOW that data needs to be interpreted

I imagine a detailed intensive year long study on a family of Jackal where they are tagged and collared and their movements and activities are mapped
    Would go a long way in understanding their dynamics.
    Perhaps someone has done this already ?

It is sad that there is no-one doing research in your area

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast